How to set internet connection with Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Is anybody could write me down how to set up internet connection with Hyper-V Windows 8.1?

Thank's !

Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:28 PM

Answers

• 1. If you use a wired connection does it work?  Wifi can have issues, upgrading the drivers for your wifi card might help.

2. Are you using the same IP range, subnet, gateway, DNS, etc when you enter the static IP as what is being assigned by the DHCP server?

3. If you take the dhcp assigned address and enter that same IP as a static IP address does it work?

Monday, April 27, 2015 11:47 PM

All replies

• You need to have created an external virtual switch and you need some way to get an IP address.  If you have an existing router, the IP should be taken care of.

Here's how you create an external virtual switch:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/how-to-create-an-external-virtual-switch-in-hyper-v-on-the-windows-server-8-beta/

Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:38 PM
  • Hi Smjain,

First of all thank you for your respond. I did created External switch, after i am stuck. I would need step by step help. Thank you!

Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:02 PM
  • How do you get IP addresses? Router?  Is your computer plugged directly into your modem?

Once you've created the virtual switch and assigned it to the VM, if you have a DHCP server, it should be assigned an IP address automatically.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 5:48 PM
  • Yes i get IP addresses through my Router. My laptop is not pluged into the Router, i use wifi.

I use Hyper-V with Windows 8.1.

I have installed several machine and all of them have a fixed IP address.

NY-DC1-2K8 is a domain controller it has DHCP, but i use fix IP.

After i set this in the Virtual Swich Manager, i do not know the next step.

Thank's

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:30 AM
  • You need to configure the VMs just like physical machines.  Ignore that they are VMs, and set them up like you would regular computers. 

They need the same IP info for DNS, GW, subnet, etc as your host uses.  Can you ping the VMs from the host and vice versa?  You will need to disable or modify the firewall to allow pings through on some Windows OSes.

Monday, April 20, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Hi Smijain,

I installed a new machine in the Hyper-V and i got the internet connection, but with the machines whos are allready installed and have a static IP address and they are part of the domain i do not get still internet connection.

Look, for example:

NY-DC1-2K8 is part of the globomantics.com domain i add on the Virtual Network Switch External.

NY-DC1-2K8 has a static IP address

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:21 AM
  • I ping from my computer to NY-DC1-2K8 and i get this:

If i ping from NY-DC1-2K8 to my computer i get the same like above.

Do you have any idea what i do need to change?

Thank you !

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:24 AM
  • I can't see any of the Hyper-V screen shots, they're too small.

However, if the new VMs are working, this points to a configuration issue with the other VMs.

Did you allow ping through the firewall (it is not allowed by default on Windows 2008)?

Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:50 PM
  • Hi Smjain,

I switched off the firewall on my computer and the Hyper-V machines too.

I do not know where the problem is.

On the NY-DC1-2K8 machine the IP address are fixed. It is not problem? It has 2 virtual switch. One for Internal:

IP:192.168.10.201

Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Default Gateway:192.168.10.200

Preferred DNS server:192.168.10.201

Alternet DNS server:192.168.10.202

The second virtual switch is External /Internet/. I do not set here any IP address.

I left it default. Obtain an IP address automatically.

When i Ping either my computer or from my computer to NY-DC1-2K8 i get the following:

-CMD

-PING 192.168.10.201

-Reply from .....IP of my computer.... Destination host unreachable.

Any idea? :-)

Friday, April 24, 2015 11:47 AM
  • An internal virtual switch does not allow internet access.  If you've got VMs using that, you need a router or RRAS to pass traffic to the external virtual switch.

Or, you should put all the VMs on the external switch.

Friday, April 24, 2015 6:46 PM
  • 1. If you use a wired connection does it work?  Wifi can have issues, upgrading the drivers for your wifi card might help.

2. Are you using the same IP range, subnet, gateway, DNS, etc when you enter the static IP as what is being assigned by the DHCP server?

3. If you take the dhcp assigned address and enter that same IP as a static IP address does it work?

Monday, April 27, 2015 11:47 PM