Do I need a Mediation Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small office. We already have one FrontEnd Server and one Edge Server.

We are planning to deploy Enterprise Voice. We are the single site without branch sites.

We shall be connected to PSTN by SBC located at IPTSP.

We were given setup manual that they use for SBC. It requires separate Mediation Server.

Can I avoid installing Mediation server?

Thanks and regards,

Les

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:47 PM

Answers

• Les,

If you plan to have a sip trunk or gateway you will need a mediation server.

most times a sip trunk providers can use a collocated mediation server (on FE) for a small office, this must be a requirement of itsp.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Les,

most times a sip trunk providers can use a collocated mediation server (on FE) for a small office, this must be a requirement of itsp.

To add to Matt's recommendation, I recommend that you read the Mediation Server deployment guidelines for Lync Server 2010 here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398622(v=ocs.14).aspx

Of particular note: 

We also recommend that you collocate the Mediation Server on a Front End pool when you have deployed IP-PBXs or connect to an Internet Telephony Server Provider’s Session Border Controller (SBC), as long as any of the following conditions are met:

• The IP-PBX or SBC is configured to receive traffic from any Mediation Server in the pool and can route traffic uniformly to all Mediation Servers in the pool.
    • The IP-PBX does not support media bypass, but the Front End pool that is hosting the Mediation Server can handle voice transcoding for calls to which media bypass does not apply.

|| MCITP: EA, EMA, Lync SA ||

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

You must deploy Lync Server 2013, Mediation Server if you deploy the Enterprise Voice workload.

The Mediation Server translates signaling and, in some configurations, media between your internal Lync Server 2013, Enterprise Voice infrastructure and a public switched telephone network (PSTN) gateway or a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunk.

The Mediation Server is collocated with the Front End Server by default. The Mediation Server can also be deployed in a stand-alone pool for performance reasons, or if you deploy SIP trunking, in which case the stand-alone pool is strongly recommended.

For details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398399.aspx

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, December 14, 2012 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi

You'll need a Mediation server but depending on your HW on the Lync server you could colocate the mediation server on the Lync server.

This link will give you some more info:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/lync-mediation-server.aspx

Here is how-to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413091(v=ocs.14).aspx

/Tim

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Les,

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Yes, you will have to set it up.  Why would this be a problem?  You will have it on the same server as you FE server.

Thank you.

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Les,

To add to Matt's recommendation, I recommend that you read the Mediation Server deployment guidelines for Lync Server 2010 here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398622(v=ocs.14).aspx

Of particular note: 

We also recommend that you collocate the Mediation Server on a Front End pool when you have deployed IP-PBXs or connect to an Internet Telephony Server Provider’s Session Border Controller (SBC), as long as any of the following conditions are met:

• The IP-PBX or SBC is configured to receive traffic from any Mediation Server in the pool and can route traffic uniformly to all Mediation Servers in the pool.
    • The IP-PBX does not support media bypass, but the Front End pool that is hosting the Mediation Server can handle voice transcoding for calls to which media bypass does not apply.

|| MCITP: EA, EMA, Lync SA ||

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

You must deploy Lync Server 2013, Mediation Server if you deploy the Enterprise Voice workload.

The Mediation Server translates signaling and, in some configurations, media between your internal Lync Server 2013, Enterprise Voice infrastructure and a public switched telephone network (PSTN) gateway or a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunk.

The Mediation Server is collocated with the Front End Server by default. The Mediation Server can also be deployed in a stand-alone pool for performance reasons, or if you deploy SIP trunking, in which case the stand-alone pool is strongly recommended.

For details:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398399.aspx

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, December 14, 2012 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:50 AM