Sharepoint send connector assistance RRS feed

• Question

• hello, we have exchange 2010 on premise. 

We recently deployed SharePoint 2013. 

Our SharePoint guy wants me to create a send connector from Exchange to SharePoint so specific emails can be routed to SP (i have created several emails in exchange, which when emailed to, they will automatically crate calendar entries in SharePoint). SharePoint guy has already taken care of everything on this end. He wants me to create the connector so when an email comes through for, for example: spcal@mydomain.com, it can be routed via the internal send connector to SharePoint.

I am hesitant and not sure how to do this. In addition, if i create a send connector to SharePoint, how will exchange know which send connector to send this particular email to.?

Please help.

thanks,

• Edited by saifahmad Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:17 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 9:16 PM

Answers

• The send connector is based on address space, so if the messages are sent to a specific Address space ( One that isn't authoritative in Exchange, then its just a matter of creating the connector and defining the address space. Exchange will do the rest for you.

So for example: Your Exchange domain is contoso.com. You SharePoint SMTP addresses are *@sharepoint.contoso.com

You would not make sharepoint.contoso.com authoritative in Exchange. Then create the send connector for a address space of sharepoint.contoso.com and smarthost any messages to the SMTP domain to the SharePoint servers.

In Internal DNS, I would also create a MX record for sharepoint.contoso.com and point that to the SharePoint servers as well.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998936%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, June 5, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Mailbox called deptcal and it is located on the Exchange server in a mailbox.

Im wondering if within the send connector, i am using the direct fqdn of the server where smtp is installed(sharepoint), and not Mx record. 

Do i need to created an internal MX record and use that instead?

Update: created an internal MX record, but same results... .no email coming through...

You cant use a mailbox, the message will be delivered to the mailbox and not via the send connector since it exists in the org.. That's by design.

There is really no reason to make the sharepoint SMTP domain an accepted domain in Exchange unless you have mailboxes in the *exchange* org that have that SMTP suffix as well.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by saifahmad Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Got it to work!!! Disabled mailbox in exchange, disabled the user in AD and used a made up email in Sharepoint for department calendar. With the Accepted domain and send connector from earlier. it worked!

Thank you for all your help!!!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:48 PM

All replies

• The send connector is based on address space, so if the messages are sent to a specific Address space ( One that isn't authoritative in Exchange, then its just a matter of creating the connector and defining the address space. Exchange will do the rest for you.

So for example: Your Exchange domain is contoso.com. You SharePoint SMTP addresses are *@sharepoint.contoso.com

You would not make sharepoint.contoso.com authoritative in Exchange. Then create the send connector for a address space of sharepoint.contoso.com and smarthost any messages to the SMTP domain to the SharePoint servers.

In Internal DNS, I would also create a MX record for sharepoint.contoso.com and point that to the SharePoint servers as well.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998936%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Friday, June 5, 2015 12:28 PM
  • Andy,

I understand that i have to create the send connector and thanks for the link.

My question now is; for example, the email i have created within exchange is a normal account: spdeptcalendar@mydomain.com.

Let's say mydomain.com is my email domain where all other emails reside.

The url for sharepoint site in question is: somedept.mydomain.com.

The FQDN of that sharepoint server is <servername>.mydomain.local (internal)

So if i create a new send onnector in exchange, what FQDN do i use: <servername>.mydomain.local or somedept.mydomain.com (FQDN of sp server or FQDN of the url link that point to that server?)

Also, how would exchange know how to forward emails to that send connector for spdeptcalendar@mydomain.com? Shouldnt the email be spdeptcalendar@somedept.mydomain.com or spdeptcalendar@servername.mydomain.local?

sorry if this is confusing...

Monday, June 8, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Andy,

I understand that i have to create the send connector and thanks for the link.

My question now is; for example, the email i have created within exchange is a normal account: spdeptcalendar@mydomain.com.

Let's say mydomain.com is my email domain where all other emails reside.

The url for sharepoint site in question is: somedept.mydomain.com.

The FQDN of that sharepoint server is <servername>.mydomain.local (internal)

So if i create a new send onnector in exchange, what FQDN do i use: <servername>.mydomain.local or somedept.mydomain.com (FQDN of sp server or FQDN of the url link that point to that server?)

Also, how would exchange know how to forward emails to that send connector for spdeptcalendar@mydomain.com? Shouldnt the email be spdeptcalendar@somedept.mydomain.com or spdeptcalendar@servername.mydomain.local?

sorry if this is confusing...

If the SMTP suffix for the mail-enabled SharePoint objects is the same as an accepted domain in Exchange, then you would need to make the accepted domain an internal relay domain and not authoritative:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124423(v=exchg.150).aspx#BKMK_InternalRelayDomains

Personally, I would create a unique SMTP domain for the SharePoint objects  - one that isn't authoritative in Exchange and set up as I described in my first reply.

Monday, June 8, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Andy,

I have created an Accepted domain called spmail.mydomain.com and made it an internal relay Non Authoritative. 

I then created a send connector  using SMTP:spmail.mydomain.com and pointing it via smarthost to: servername.mydomain.local (sharepoint server where smtp is installed)

Created a new email with deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com as the smtp address.

Rebooted Exchange.

When i send an email using powershell from the exchange server ( Send-MailMessage –From sender@testserverdomain.com –To recipient@recipientdomain.com –Subject “Test Email” –Body “Test E-mail (body)” -SmtpServer smtpserver.fqdndomain.localIt sends the email to the sharepoint drop folder.

But when i create an appointment in outlook and send it to deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com, nothing ever comes though...

What am i doing wrong?

• Edited by saifahmad Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Andy,

I have created an Accepted domain called spmail.mydomain.com and made it an internal relay Non Authoritative. 

I then created a send connector  using SMTP:spmail.mydomain.com and pointing it via smarthost to: servername.mydomain.local (sharepoint server where smtp is installed)

Created a new email with deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com as the smtp address.

Rebooted Exchange.

When i send an email using powershell from the exchange server ( Send-MailMessage –From sender@testserverdomain.com –To recipient@recipientdomain.com –Subject “Test Email” –Body “Test E-mail (body)” -SmtpServer smtpserver.fqdndomain.localIt sends the email to the sharepoint drop folder.

But when i create an appointment in outlook and send it to deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com, nothing ever comes though...

What am i doing wrong?

Is there a mail-enabled object in Exchange with that SMTP address? 

What does message tracking show?

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:15 PM
  • There is only one mail-enabled object in exchange and that's the deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com with that address. Nothing else has that address.

Mail tracking shows:

Delivery Report for Department Calendar ‎(deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com)‎

Submitted
    6/10/2015 1:55 PM exchsvr1.mydomain.local
    The message was submitted to exchsvr2.mydomain.local.

Delivered
    6/10/2015 1:55 PM exchsvr2.mydomain.local.
    The message was successfully delivered.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:22 PM
  • There is only one mail-enabled object in exchange and that's the deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com with that address. Nothing else has that address.

Mail tracking shows:

Delivery Report for Department Calendar ‎(deptcal@spmail.mydomain.com)‎

Submitted
    6/10/2015 1:55 PM exchsvr1.mydomain.local
    The message was submitted to exchsvr2.mydomain.local.

Delivered
    6/10/2015 1:55 PM exchsvr2.mydomain.local.
    The message was successfully delivered.

What exactly is that mail-enabled object? A mailbox or contact... etc..

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:32 PM

Im wondering if within the send connector, i am using the direct fqdn of the server where smtp is installed(sharepoint), and not Mx record. 

Update: created an internal MX record, but same results... .no email coming through...

• Edited by saifahmad Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:47 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 7:34 PM

You cant use a mailbox, the message will be delivered to the mailbox and not via the send connector since it exists in the org.. That's by design.

There is really no reason to make the sharepoint SMTP domain an accepted domain in Exchange unless you have mailboxes in the *exchange* org that have that SMTP suffix as well.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by saifahmad Wednesday, June 10, 2015 9:24 PM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:44 PM
  • Got it to work!!! Disabled mailbox in exchange, disabled the user in AD and used a made up email in Sharepoint for department calendar. With the Accepted domain and send connector from earlier. it worked!

Thank you for all your help!!!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:48 PM