HELP WPD FileSystem Volume Driver Error and Zune Error RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having this problem for like a year, so I figured it was time to go on forums.

My zune won't install on my computer. I'm going to reconnect it right now and say what happens. By the way, I'm using a Dell XPS m1330 Windows Vista Premium. I've had same problem on another computer running vista. Problem does not occur on an old laptop I have running XP.

1) Took USB plug out and reconnected.

2) Thing in bottom right says, "Installing device driver software".

3) Then, "Device driver software was not successfully installed" pops up.

4) I click on it, box comes up. Box reads, "Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed."

Well, that's not useful. Let's continue.

5) I click on Device Manager. Box pops up. Under Portable Devices I have two errors (yellow exclamation mark things).

6) First error, "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" has yellow exclamation next to it. Call this A.

7) I double click on A. Box pops up. Here's the information in the box in the General tab:

Device Type: Portable Devices

Manufacturer: (WPD FileSystem Device)

Device Status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

8) And the Driver Tab:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 6/21/2006

Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Digital Signer: microsoft windows

I have no idea what to make of this. Let's continue.

10) Second Error, "Zune" under Portable Devices in Device Manager has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Call this B.

11) I double click on B. Box pops up. Under general tab it says:

Device Type: Portable Devices

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Device Status:This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

12) And under the Driver tab:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 8/31/2008

Driver Version: 3.0.286.0

Digital Signer: microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

I have no idea what to make of this.

I just want to be able to put music and such on here. I don't want to go through my old crappy laptop. PLEASE HELP!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting. Let’s focus on the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver at first.

The Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing.

This issue can be caused by corrupt INF files.Let’s troubleshoot this issue by copying these files from another known Windows Vista computer.

1.      Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows Vista computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.      Reboot the computer and connect the USB mass storage device and Check if it gets detected and works fine.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:08 AM

All replies

• Zune is 80GB version, by the way.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting. Let’s focus on the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver at first.

The Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing.

This issue can be caused by corrupt INF files.Let’s troubleshoot this issue by copying these files from another known Windows Vista computer.

1.      Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows Vista computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.      Reboot the computer and connect the USB mass storage device and Check if it gets detected and works fine.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:08 AM
  •  I have same/similar problem on my other computer. Plus I'm not nearby my computer currently for next few days anyways. Is there any thing else?
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:06 PM
  • Sorry, but copying those usbstor files makes no difference at all.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Do a system restore to the last time/date you remembered it working properly. That should solve it :-)
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:09 AM
  • And remember to save your settings/files and any changes you made after the chosen restore date/time.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:13 AM