none
Location server when load balancing RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the official documentation to use locationserver.xml when load balancing, except it's not using the path. It just shows X:\Deploy as the path. If I choose a different server and then choose the first server from the drop down, the path stays stuck on the second server. Is the official documentation missing a UNCPath tag of some sort for the load balanced servers?

Create a LocationServer.xml File to Load Balance Multiple Servers at Different Locations

Using LocationServer.xml, specify multiple servers per location entry, and then perform basic load balancing so that when a location is chosen, MDT automatically selects a deployment server from the list of available servers. To provide this functionality, the LocationServer.xml file supports specifying a weighting metric.

Listing 18 illustrates a sample LocationServer.xml file configured for multiple servers at different locations.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <servers>
        <QueryDefault></QueryDefault>
        <server>
            <serverid>1</serverid>
            <friendlyname>
              Contoso HQ, Seattle, USA
            </friendlyname>
            <Server1>\\STLDS01\Deployment$</Server1>
            <Server2>\\STLDS02\Deployment$</Server2>
            <Server3>\\STLDS03\Deployment$</Server3>
            <Server weight=”1”>\\STLDS01\Deployment$</Server>
            <Server weight=”2”>\\STLDS02\Deployment$</Server>
            <Server weight=”4”>\\STLDS03\Deployment$</Server>
        </server>
        <server>
            <serverid>2</serverid>
            <friendlyname>
              Contoso NYC, New York, USA
            </friendlyname>
            <UNCPath>\\NYCDS01\Deployment$</UNCPath>
        </server> 
    </servers>

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:42 PM

Answers

• My recollection of how LocationServer.xml works is a bit hazy, it's been a while. I must be honest, I don't know of many people who use them. There are better ways to perform load balancing.

1. If you are booting from PXE, then let PXE do the load balancing for you, have MDT on each server, and point the BootStrap.ini to %WDSServer%. As PXEServer1 gets overloaded it will be slower to respond to PXE requests, thus allowing less overloaded PXEServer2 to respond faster. Natural loadballancing.

2. If you are calling Litetouch from a UNC path, then put all of your servers in a Stand-Alone DFS namespace. Natural failover.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Well I finally got someone from higher up to give me the rights needed to create a replication group and it all worked just fine after that.

• Marked as answer by Dan_Vega Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:06 PM

All replies

• My recollection of how LocationServer.xml works is a bit hazy, it's been a while. I must be honest, I don't know of many people who use them. There are better ways to perform load balancing.

1. If you are booting from PXE, then let PXE do the load balancing for you, have MDT on each server, and point the BootStrap.ini to %WDSServer%. As PXEServer1 gets overloaded it will be slower to respond to PXE requests, thus allowing less overloaded PXEServer2 to respond faster. Natural loadballancing.

2. If you are calling Litetouch from a UNC path, then put all of your servers in a Stand-Alone DFS namespace. Natural failover.

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Unfortunately PXE is not in the cards for us, though maybe in the furture. My IT department is not part of the main campus IT department and can't do certain things, we don't have domain admin rights. I'll look into DFS some more and doing a Stand-Alone DFS. Does it matter that my deployment servers are member servers? I'm hoping not.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Friday, October 3, 2014 6:30 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 6:26 PM
  • That's the beauty of stand alone DFS, it does not require a domain infrastructure. Just a host for the root.

Friday, October 3, 2014 6:30 PM
  • I'm guessing it won't work for me because my systems are member servers of our domain.
    The reason I set them up as such is to allow the different techs to use their own accounts for MDT and it makes it easy it look at the logs to find out who deployed what.

The account I'm logged in with only has local admin rights, not domain admin rights.

Monday, October 6, 2014 9:46 PM
  • shouldn't matter as long as you are doing stand-alone dfs, not Domain dfs

Monday, October 6, 2014 10:45 PM
  • I did stand alone and creating a namespace isn't a problem, it's when I get to the replicate folder wizard that it gives me the error about insufficient permissions.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Well I finally got someone from higher up to give me the rights needed to create a replication group and it all worked just fine after that.

• Marked as answer by Dan_Vega Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:06 PM