none
how to reattach backup drives to SBS 2011 without reformatting the drives.

Question

• I have been using several external usb drives to backup my SBS 2011 server. After I disabled the scheduled backup I noticed that all the usb drives disappeared from the SBS Console Backup tab. I need to reattach the usb drives but I do not want to reformat the drives. Does anyone know how I can do this.

Any help in this matter  will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It’s my pleasure.

Please remember to click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by hmbdtx Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, the Configure Server Backup wizard formats the backup destination drive by default.

As you had mentioned that, you had disabled the scheduled backup, if you want to re-enabled it, follow up the Configure Server Backup wizard to complete the configuration, and driver formatting is necessary.  

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 25, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Eve:

Thank you for your response. Do you know if it is possible to create a new schedule using a drive that can be formatted and then add back my existing backup drives to that schedule without have them formatted?

Howard

Monday, February 25, 2019 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

As a workaround, you may consider of using Windows System built-in backup function instead of the server backup wizard on SBS Console. It may recognize the existing backup drive/file.

Or, you may consider of copy the backup file to other drive, and re-enable the server backup via SBS console wizard.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:24 AM
  • Eve:

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

It’s my pleasure.

Please remember to click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by hmbdtx Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:18 AM