none
"Manage Permissions" in Project Pro 2010 connected to PS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible to prevent the  project managers to grant additional permissions on their projects using File / Info / Manage Permissions ?

Thanks

Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:29 PM

Answers

• WLID1966 --

The Manage Permissions feature is new in Project Server 2010.  I personally have found this to be very helpful to PMs, which allows them to grant special permissions for specific PMs to access a particular project.  For example, suppose that PM1 is managing a project that is part of a master project that includes a project managed by PM2, and the two PMs need to set cross-project dependencies between their two projects.  And suppose that the Project Server 2010 environment used by PM1 and PM2 uses the default security model, which means that PM1 cannot see the project managed by PM2, and PM2 cannot see the project managed by PM1.  In this case, Project Server 2010 would allow PM1 to grant special Read/Write permissions to PM2 to allow him/her to access the project, and PM2 would do the same for his/her project for PM1.  By doing this directly, either PM1 nor PM2 need to bother the Project Server administrator, who probably already has too much to do to keep Project Server 2010 running efficiently!

If the above scenario is something your PMs might encounter, then I would recommend that you do not disable this feature.  On the other hand, if the above is not a scenario your PMs would ever face, then you can disable this feature by doing the following:

1. Log into PWA with Administrator permissions.
    2. Click Server Settings > Project Web App Permissions.
    3. In the Project section of the page, deselect the Enable checkbox for the Manage Basic Project Security permissions.
    4. Click the Save button.

If you complete the above steps, this will disable the Project Permission for everyone, including you. But because you are a Project Server administrator, you will manage the permissions for every project using the default and custom security Categories instead. Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:29 PM
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:03 PM
  • WLID1966 --

Thanks for clarifying.  If the PM in question is able to set special permissions for other PMs, you cannot prevent him/her in any way from setting special permissions for PM3.  Under these circumstances, I would recommend that you make this a training issue.  Teach your PM to whom he/she can set special permissions, and then hold him/her accountable for this.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:39 AM

All replies

• WLID1966 --

The Manage Permissions feature is new in Project Server 2010.  I personally have found this to be very helpful to PMs, which allows them to grant special permissions for specific PMs to access a particular project.  For example, suppose that PM1 is managing a project that is part of a master project that includes a project managed by PM2, and the two PMs need to set cross-project dependencies between their two projects.  And suppose that the Project Server 2010 environment used by PM1 and PM2 uses the default security model, which means that PM1 cannot see the project managed by PM2, and PM2 cannot see the project managed by PM1.  In this case, Project Server 2010 would allow PM1 to grant special Read/Write permissions to PM2 to allow him/her to access the project, and PM2 would do the same for his/her project for PM1.  By doing this directly, either PM1 nor PM2 need to bother the Project Server administrator, who probably already has too much to do to keep Project Server 2010 running efficiently!

If the above scenario is something your PMs might encounter, then I would recommend that you do not disable this feature.  On the other hand, if the above is not a scenario your PMs would ever face, then you can disable this feature by doing the following:

1. Log into PWA with Administrator permissions.
    2. Click Server Settings > Project Web App Permissions.
    3. In the Project section of the page, deselect the Enable checkbox for the Manage Basic Project Security permissions.
    4. Click the Save button.

If you complete the above steps, this will disable the Project Permission for everyone, including you. But because you are a Project Server administrator, you will manage the permissions for every project using the default and custom security Categories instead. Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:29 PM
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Thanks a lot Dale,

Conversely, is it possible to say that this security group can not benefit from such Project Security permissions?

Thanks again.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:46 PM
  • WLID1966 --

Sorry, but I am kind of dense.  I do not understand your question.  Please elaborate.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Sorry, I will try to elaborate:

The 2nd question is : 

A Project Manager has the permission to grant additional permissions on his projects using File / Info / Manage Permissions,  so he would be able to grant such permissions to others project managers PM1, PM2, PM3 and PM4. But we have good reasons to prevent him from granting any permissions to PM3.

Is it possible to do that?

Thanks

• Edited by WLID1966 Monday, July 15, 2013 9:10 AM he would be
    Monday, July 15, 2013 6:39 AM
  • WLID1966 --

Thanks for clarifying.  If the PM in question is able to set special permissions for other PMs, you cannot prevent him/her in any way from setting special permissions for PM3.  Under these circumstances, I would recommend that you make this a training issue.  Teach your PM to whom he/she can set special permissions, and then hold him/her accountable for this.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:39 AM
  • That's clear for me now.

Thanks a lot Dale

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:48 AM
  • WLID1966 --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:05 PM