none
Unable to uninstall IE10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a client who runs Server 2012(non R2) and it looks like at some point the have tried to remove IE10 from the server. I can only assume it didn't go well as it is still there in C:\Program Files but we can not run it. When we double click on it the program doesn't open and no process is running. When we try to install IE10 again it gives an error reporting that a newer version is installed (We are using 10.0.9200.16521 installer). We have tried removing IE10 by using the following command in an elevated command prompt.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

and rebooting after the fact but it still does not work. We do get an error Operation failed with 0x80070005 Access is denied.

When we run it with the quiet switch we don't get the error but even after the reboot it still is not removed.

Any advice would be great thanks.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:19 AM

All replies

• FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

This method is applicable to older OS versions (e.g. Windows7), where IE10 has been installed as an update.

For WS2012/Win8, IE10 is not an update, IE10 is an inbox/builtin OS component/feature, which ships with the OS.

You may be able to follow this guide for Win8, on your WS2012:

http://www.howtogeek.com/117166/how-to-uninstall-internet-explorer-10-in-windows-8/

But be warned that disabling/removing the inbox/builtin IE can cause other issues.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:35 AM
  • When we double click on it the program doesn't open and no process is running. When we try to install IE10 again it gives an error reporting that a newer version is installed (We are using 10.0.9200.16521 installer).

Because IE10 is an inbox/builtin OS component/feature on WS2012, you can't download an installer for it.

You would need to use Windows OS features to reinstall IE10 on WS2012. (Turn Windows features on or off)

And, depending upon the current health/state of this WS2012 machine, you may find the need to use SFC /scannow and/or DISM /restorehealth etc to repair any ill-health condition on this machine.

http://superuser.com/questions/718805/how-to-repair-corrupt-system-files-from-a-installation-disc

http://superuser.com/questions/696783/how-do-i-fix-corrupt-files-with-sfc-scannow-in-windows-8-1

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Thanks Don,
    The first option didn't work as when I add / remove a feature in WS2012 it gave be the roles/features but there isn't an option for IE in there.

I am currently running a SFC scan now and will try DISM next.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:15 AM
  • Ok ran both and no errors found and still can not remove IE10.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:20 AM

Sounds like a permissions problem. ProcMon could help discover it.

C.f.   Astara__'s tip

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/ie-11-update-fails-on-window-7/ae0b7faf-852e-4c99-b25e-46bd949a6c79?msgId=00be4867-547f-4370-b22c-719466eed965

(I have no idea why the post marked Answer was chosen instead of that one.  I wish it would get enough votes to at least be seen as the most highly rated post in that thread.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:54 AM
    Answerer

Hmmm.

This tip was applicable to WS2008R2, but it might also apply to WS2012:

DISM /online /enable-feature /featurename:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64                           

You might need to check firstly if the feature-name might have changed under WS2012:

DISM /online /get-features

ref:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2010/08/26/adding-features-with-dism.aspx

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-server/q-how-can-i-remove-internet-explorer-ie-my-windows-server-2008-r2-full-install-server

Don

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:33 AM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks for that. I have gone through the process now but being a production server I can't reboot it yet. I will let you know how it goes but it looks like it is a positive step.

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:43 AM
  • Ok So I disabled it. Rebooted. Confirmed with DISM that it is disabled. Reenabled. Rebooted and confirmed it is enabled but still I can not open Internet Explorer. Checked through Event logs (System and Application) and there is no errors or anything reported at all.
    Monday, January 12, 2015 12:03 AM
  • Does anyone else have any ideas?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 11:30 PM
  • still I can not open Internet Explorer.

Details?  Are you using ProcMon to find out why?  E.g. is  iexplore.exe  even still present and accessible?  I don't know if  SFC  would try to put it back if it wasn't but that would be easy to check.  Also, SFC would probably give you a report about other discrepancies regarding your OS browsing functionality.

If there is a iexplore.exe to use first use  ComputerSettings.exe  to make it your default browser.  Then try to Run...  iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

Do that test in a safe mode boot if necessary too.  The only objective is to have a window open and stay open.  If that happens and you want to use it you may need to press Stop (e.g. Alt-V p).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, January 15, 2015 7:03 AM
    Answerer
  • There is no iexplore.exe process when I double click on it. Nothing happens. I have checked the path to the shortcut and verified it is correct. I have also tried opening the direct file and it does nothing. I have tried different user accounts and the same issue.

Sorry also SFC came back without issues when previously run.
    • Edited by Stu.Mills Monday, January 19, 2015 1:48 AM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 1:48 AM
  •  have also tried opening the direct file

In safe mode too?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 19, 2015 6:51 AM
    Answerer

In safe mode too?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

That is correct.
    Monday, January 19, 2015 8:13 AM
  • There is no iexplore.exe process when I double click on it. Nothing happens. I have checked the path to the shortcut and verified it is correct. I have also tried opening the direct file and it does nothing. I have tried different user accounts and the same issue.

Hi,

This phenomenon can be caused by IE removed from system, you can try to install IE 11 instead if you need to use IE in the future.

If it is IE problem not removed, please check Event Viewer if it identify the problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 19, 2015 9:16 AM

You can run ProcMon in normal mode but not in safe mode.  So the only thing you can know by the safe mode test is that your problem symptom is caused by something that you have installed that starts in both modes or affects both modes.

If ProcMon shows nothing obvious probably what I would do is trace another identical scenario in a system which was operating normally and then compare the traces for their significant differences.  You can save the traces as .pml files and open them later in their own windows where you can use all the filtering tools separately or in parallel as needed.  You can filter coarsely, e.g. only Process & Threads class events with Operation Begins with Process would be really simple to compare.   <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 19, 2015 2:37 PM
    Answerer

Hi,

This phenomenon can be caused by IE removed from system, you can try to install IE 11 instead if you need to use IE in the future.

If it is IE problem not removed, please check Event Viewer if it identify the problem.

Roger Lu

As far as I am aware IE11 can not be installed on 2012 non R2.
    Monday, January 19, 2015 11:35 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry for my mistake, you are right, Windows Server 2012 doesn't support IE11, but support IE 10.

Roger Lu

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:17 AM