none
How do i resolve Event ID: 8230 Source VSS with SBS 2011?

Question

• We're having a problem with one of the volumes not backing up.  It apears to be linked to the VSS writer.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account spsearch with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key.

Operation:

Gathering Writer Data

Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:

Execution Context: Requestor

Current State: GatherWriterMetadata

Error-specific details:

Error: NetLocalGroupGetMemebers(spsearch), 0x80070560, The specified local group does not exist.

It appears to be telling me that the groups dont exist when they do.  I've trawled through quote a few google results on this but so far have not found a way of resolving the issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:18 AM

Answers

• I was receiving the same error on a clean install of SBS 2011 Standard with all service packs and updates from Microsoft Update.

I found the following link which mentions accounts that are enabled to create VSS copies:  http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8230&eventno=10589&source=VSS&phase=1

Using the information from there as a starting point, I did the following:

• open registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl
    • backup this key, just in case you need to restore it later
    • CHANGE the value to 0 for all accounts except the NetworkService account which I left at 1
    • close registry editor
    • open services.msc and restart Volume Shadow Service
    • retry Windows Server Backup

This time the backup was able to successfully create the volume shadow copies and continue.  I am not sure yet what the consequences are for disabling these other accounts from creating VSS copies, but a successful backup is more important at the moment!

Andrew McMenimen

Concierge Computer Support - www.conciergecomputer.net

• Proposed as answer by Rick TanModerator Monday, July 11, 2011 3:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by mpjubb Monday, July 11, 2011 6:03 AM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Hi:

Here is a link to the list of SBS 2011 errors that can be ignored on SBS 2011.  However, if you have further evidence that the backups are not completing, please let us know.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2483007

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by mpjubb Monday, July 11, 2011 6:02 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi:

Here is a link to the list of SBS 2011 errors that can be ignored on SBS 2011.  However, if you have further evidence that the backups are not completing, please let us know.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2483007

Larry Struckmeyer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by mpjubb Monday, July 11, 2011 6:02 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:50 AM
  • The backups are definitely failing and this alert comes up everytime the backup fails.  The backups are only failing on the E: volume though.
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:01 AM
  • In the backup log, what is given as the reason for the failure?  The event log may be coincidental. 

Larry Struckmeyer

Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi Larry,

The issue is not resolved.  VSS is still producing errors and baclup is still failing

Thursday, July 7, 2011 3:33 PM
  • I was receiving the same error on a clean install of SBS 2011 Standard with all service packs and updates from Microsoft Update.

I found the following link which mentions accounts that are enabled to create VSS copies:  http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=8230&eventno=10589&source=VSS&phase=1

• open registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl
    • CHANGE the value to 0 for all accounts except the NetworkService account which I left at 1
    • close registry editor

This time the backup was able to successfully create the volume shadow copies and continue.  I am not sure yet what the consequences are for disabling these other accounts from creating VSS copies, but a successful backup is more important at the moment!

Andrew McMenimen

• Proposed as answer by Rick TanModerator Monday, July 11, 2011 3:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by mpjubb Monday, July 11, 2011 6:03 AM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:47 PM
  • And the contents of the backup log(s) that give the reason for the failure?  Or is it blank?
    Larry Struckmeyer

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Thanks all for your replies.  CA had us barking up the wrong tree with this.  It turns out it was a CA problem not a SBS2011 problem.

Thanks for all of the troubleshooting help.

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:02 AM
  • This was our problem on a new DELL T410 with SBS 2011 STD fresh install with all updates.

vssadmin list writers would show:

spearch4

State: Failed

disabling SERVERNAME\spsearch by change 1 to 0 fixed the backup issue

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:49 AM

• close registry editor

Andrew McMenimen

This worked like a charm for me!
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:54 PM

• close registry editor

Andrew McMenimen

I got this warning every 4:th minute. I read that this error could be ignored but I didn't like all warnings filling up my log. Followed your link and deleted the spfarm and spsearch from the VssAccessControl (set them to zero did not help). No more warnings in my application log, thanks! Hope this doesn't crash something else..

I also got this information every third minute:

"The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout". Is that normal?

• Edited by joohansson Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:01 AM Not solved
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:55 AM
  • "SERVERNAME\spsearch by change 1 to 0 fixed the backup issue"  is eventually a not recommended way of fixing the issue. This will disable the spsearch writer from VSS and will not be backed up further. http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx is bthe right approach to fix these issues.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Hi Everyone

The only way that i have to make my Backups in SBS 2011 is STOP this services:

SharePoint Foundation Search V4

SharePoint VSS Writer

Stop this services make the Bakup inmediately and START the Services Again.

(Please remember that the services can start automaticaly again, so note that when the services are stopped you need to make the backup Right Now)

I do not have time to search for answers that never posted because this is the only Windows i see that has many CRITICAL errors and all are "Benign or Safe" and MSFT does not work to solve those "small" Mistakes

Hope that help!! and make a safe backups

Emilio

Emilio I. Wilde
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi

This worked for me on SBS2011, didnt do anything else.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx

Took ~15 minutes and backups now OK

Thank you Mohitkapoor

Cheers,

Mark

• Proposed as answer by SyscomDT Friday, February 24, 2012 5:04 AM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 12:52 PM
  • MarkInTheMiddle's solution worked like a charm on a SBS2011 server
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Works an absolute treat

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 8:03 AM