none
Second SATA HD not accessible after Clean Win 7 install RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping someone has an answer for me....

I recently had a HD failure, and here is what I did:

1) Removed failing HD and also removed a second SATA HD from computer (had an issue in the past with data loss in a similar situation).

2) Installed new HD into computer.

3) Created a single partition, formatted, and installed Windows 7 to the new HD.  Everything is good up to this point.

4) Installed the second SATA HD into the computer (this drive is for storage only, and I hope to preserve the data on it).

5) After checking the BIOS to ensure that the second drive was recognized, I booted into Windows.

Here is my problem:

The second (storage only) SATA HD shows up in the BIOS, shows up in Device Manager, and shows up in Disk Management.....

However, when I select that drive via any method (Windows Explorer, Disk Management, etc), I get the following message:

"You need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use it.  Do you want to format it?"

Of course I don't!  It's full of data that I need.  When I select 'Cancel' to NOT format the drive, I get the following message:

"D:\ is not accessible.  The volume does not contain a recognized file system.  Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

In my old system (Win XP), the second SATA HD (500gb) was split into two partitions (drives D and E), and all was well.

Now the drive shows up as a 128 GB RAW [Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)].

I've attempted fixes to the MBR and Boot Sector to no avail.  I'm clueless on what's wrong.

I don't know why the drive requests to be formatted by Windows, and where is the second partition on that drive?

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix this, please let me know.

Thanks, BP29

Monday, June 7, 2010 1:39 AM

Answers