none
Cross Project Link Viewing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a master project that contains major program milestones (tasks).  I have inserted 5 subprojects (individual Project files) that are maintained by project leads.  There are several cross project links between the milestones in the master file and tasks within the subprojects as well as tasks between the subproject files.  Is there a report that can be created that would show me what tasks are linked between all the files and how they are linked (FS, FF with a lag, etc.)?  I know I can see them in the Links Between Projects window but I want to see them in a report I can print out and review with all the leads.  I am using Project 2010 Professional but not using Project Server.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 6:33 PM

Answers

• crpmst,

As far as I know there is no built-in report for cross-project link data. You can however create your own report using various methods depending on the level of complexity you want. For example, you can create a filter to look for "\" in the Predecessor and Successor fields. That will show all tasks with cross-project links. You could carry that a level further with a little VBA to extract the link type information and dump it into an extra text field.

John

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:19 PM

All replies

• crpmst,

As far as I know there is no built-in report for cross-project link data. You can however create your own report using various methods depending on the level of complexity you want. For example, you can create a filter to look for "\" in the Predecessor and Successor fields. That will show all tasks with cross-project links. You could carry that a level further with a little VBA to extract the link type information and dump it into an extra text field.

John

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:19 PM
  • In the past I have done exactly as John has suggested - have a filter which looks for "\" in Predecessor or Successor and hide everything else.  You can then either apply this to your normal plan or set up a new table (in my case ID/Project/name/dates/pre/suc/total slack/dependency reference-text1) and a view to show this table, filtered by the new filter and you have a report which can be used to review dependencies between streams.

Hope this helps

Miles

Thursday, February 9, 2012 1:55 PM
  • In case this is a project professional (Project Server) question, you can also use the information in the Project Server reporting database to identify these tasks and present them in the way you would like. Requires a little Business Intelligence know-how though but when it comes to reporting... Project Server rocks!

You could also have a crack at a project calculated custom field to interrogate the predecessor field and return a flag indicator or some link text.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:10 PM