MDT 2013 + Win 8.1 + Recovery partition image? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use MDT 2013 to deploy an Windows 8.1 image and also a an image to the recovery partition to be able to use the built in recovery feature in Windows 8.1 ?

How would you go about doing it?

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:37 AM

All replies

• Baatch

This question is two months old without any comments or answers.
    Did you get anwhere with this. I am still on 8.0 at the moment but I have the same question.

Growing old with SCCM

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:37 PM
  • I might be totally wrong but isn't it what PrepareWinRE = YES does?

There is a blog about doing it another way but it looks complicated: http://www.stephan-schwarz.net/?p=77

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Yeah it is complicated.  I'm working on a solution currently deploying reset and refresh functionality in Windows 8.1.  My current production task sequence is something along the lines of this >

1) Boot into PE

2) Partition disk with custom diskpart script, adding reset partition - you can find examples here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.aspx

3) Apply Windows 8.1 custom image to OSDisk.

4) Run custom PS script that looks something like this  -

#GET PATH VARIABLES FOR CURRENT DIRECTORY AND SYSTEM PARTITIONS.
    $mydir = split-path -parent $myinvocation.mycommand.path
    $winredrive = get-wmiobject win32_volume -filter "Label='Tools'" | select-object -expandProperty "DriveLetter"
    $resetdrive = get-wmiobject win32_volume -filter "Label='Reset'" | select-object -expandProperty "DriveLetter"
    $osdrive = get-wmiobject win32_volume -filter "Label='OSDisk'" | select-object -expandProperty "DriveLetter"

#GET MODEL OF MACHINE. USE $COMPUTERSYSTEM.MODEL TO RETURN STRING VALUE OF MACHINE MODEL.
    $computersystem = get-wmiobject win32_computersystem

#CREATE RECOVERY LOG
    $logfile = "$osdrive\windows\temp\recovery.log"
    start-transcript -path $logfile -force -noclobber

#Surface Pro 2
    if ($computersystem.model -like "Surface Pro 2"){
    new-item -itemtype directory $resetdrive\Recovery
    copy-item $mydir\MicrosoftRecovery\install.wim -Destination $resetdrive\Recovery\install.wim -force
    write-output "Wipe deployed successfully for $computersystem.model to $resetdrive"

cd $osdrive\Windows\System32
    cmd /c ""reagentc /setosimage /path $resetdrive\Recovery\install.wim /index 1 /target $osdrive\Windows
    exit

}

Drive paths are enumerated into variables so you can find them regardless of environment, and then drops the image to that reset partition created.  The command reagent /setosimage /path R:\recovery\install.wim... is then ran to configure the path, be sure to use /target to target an offline image.

The same process is also used to copy recovery images, with the way I've been testing them so far, you need to create the recovery image ON DEVICE, or the drivers will not reload on refresh.  Also note that the recimg command cannot be targeted at an offline image, at least not to my knowledge, so you need to set your recimg /setcurrent C:\recimg as a run command in the unattend once the OS is live. 

As for PrepareWINRE=YES, I believe this will trigger MDT to load from your deploymentshare, otherwise WinRE tools partition is deployed from a OSDisk\Windows\Recovery\winre.wim location.  I will try writing an article on this when I get a chance and upload it to my blog.  If you have further questions let me know.

Ryan

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Hi

My project is postponed so they don't need it any more - but I do.

Has anybody made any progress ?

Growing old with SCCM

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:44 PM
  • Recovery images are difficult with MDT.

The problem is that recovery images are *designed* to work in OEM scenarios, that leverage OOBE to deploy.

Once you add in MDT with the State Restore steps, you can get out of sync with the installation, is your MDT deployment sever still around? What about the credentials used to connect to the server? so on, and so on.

Best solution is to assume that the image on the recovery partition is for *emergencies* only. Someone is out on the road, and has a major OS crash, and needs to reload from scratch, anything... So they use the recovery partition to wipe the existing OS and restore back to the original state with Windows and Office, at least they can give their Powerpoint presentation. :(

IF you are looking for the technical details of how to create the recovery partition and add a image, I encourage you to look at Niehaus's post on BootWim. http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2014/04/13/experimenting-with-wimboot-using-mdt-2013.aspx

The other options are:
    1. For on-prem clients, Just reload the OS from scratch from your local MDT servers. Easy!

2. For remote clients, provide them with USB offline Media.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Saturday, September 13, 2014 5:08 AM
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 5:08 AM