none
Critical Alert! There's a tape in the drive while we're running a backup! RRS feed

• Question

• Am I the only one experiencing frequent critical alerts stating "Tape detailed inventory failed" while running backup jobs. See below:

==================================

Affected area: Plyfile1 Data-LT-1Weeks-Copy0-00000072 (000033L5)
    Occurred since: 10/6/2012 9:03:11 AM
    Description: The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID 3316)
     Operation failed since the slot 8 in library Dual Drive TL2000 was empty. This tape is currently present in Drive IBM ULT3580-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device (1068059398) (ID 24027)
     More information
    Recommended action: Use the front panel of your library to move the tape from its current location to the slot specified above.
     Run tape inventory job again...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate

==================================

Well, of course the tape is in the drive, it's in the drive because a backup is running. It's noise like this that makes subscribing to DPM alerts a very frustrating endeavour. I get numerous critical alerts every day that require no action at all. That doesn't really meet the definition of "critical". I wish DPM wouldn't cry wolf like this so much, or would at least have some better alert filtering. Is there any way to stop this tape message?

Saturday, October 6, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can always create a custom job filter and manually cancel future library inventory jobs upto 7 days in advance.  You can also remove the inventory job entirely if you like.  Be sure to run manual inventoies after changing tapes.

set-MaintenanceJobStartTime -dpmservername Your_Dpm_Sever_Name libraryinventory -remove

I understand not liking the alert when you believe it should be ignored if there is on ongoing tape backup, and I also agree, but the product group took a diferent view and wanted you to be fully aware of the failure just in case it wasn't an expected condition.  (IE: The Server crashed or the library went offline in the middle of a backup and as a result that left a tape in a drive.)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by FormulaTroll Monday, October 8, 2012 3:43 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If your backup jobs are expected be running every day when the normal inventory job runs at 9:00am, you can change the library inventory start time to be at a time when the tape libary is expected to be idle.  You can use the following DPM Power shell command to change it.

set-MaintenanceJobStartTime -dpmservername Your_Dpm_Sever_Name libraryinventory -starttime 06:00pm 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Regrettably, I'm not sure picking a different time will work for me. I've got a 10+ terabyte tape job that takes more than 24 hours to run. Is there any way to disable the library inventory on specific days?
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:32 PM
  • Hi,

You can always create a custom job filter and manually cancel future library inventory jobs upto 7 days in advance.  You can also remove the inventory job entirely if you like.  Be sure to run manual inventoies after changing tapes.

set-MaintenanceJobStartTime -dpmservername Your_Dpm_Sever_Name libraryinventory -remove

I understand not liking the alert when you believe it should be ignored if there is on ongoing tape backup, and I also agree, but the product group took a diferent view and wanted you to be fully aware of the failure just in case it wasn't an expected condition.  (IE: The Server crashed or the library went offline in the middle of a backup and as a result that left a tape in a drive.)

• Marked as answer by FormulaTroll Monday, October 8, 2012 3:43 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Ah, that will probably work. We're pretty much in the habit of doing manual inventories all the time anyways.

What would be really nice would be the ability to modify the various alert levels. If I could turn this tape inventory alert into a warning rather than a critical, I'd be pleased as punch.

Thanks again...

Monday, October 8, 2012 3:43 PM