none
Use of inserted subprojects with Project 2010 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to set a default path to insert subprojects? For example, if I send a client a master mpp and an insert mpp (in the same directory), can I avoid his having to build a folder in the same exact location on his drive?

Also, is there a way to combine the master project and the subproject inserts into a single file?  (My client seems to have a strange server that cannot handle linked files.

Friday, September 19, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• NickSteel,

As long as the master and inserted projects are in the same folder, you should be able to send the client the folder and the files will link normally; as I recall I've done that successfully. However, if that doesn't work then yes, I'm afraid the client will have to emulate the same path structure. Try it.

The second part of your question is actually the way you should go. Instead of sending the client a linked structure, with the associated risk of file corruption, create a static master. To do that, uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window when you create the master. That will create a single non-linked structure and eliminate the above problems entirely. As an alternative, you can select each summary line insertion point in the master and then go to Task/Properties group/Information. Select the advanced tab and uncheck the "link to project" option. Either way, be advised that if the subprojects have external links between tasks, (i.e. inter-project links), those will not be preserved when you create a static master. To preserve those links you can either re-create them manually, if there are only a few, or use a macro. Do your files have inter-project links?

John

Friday, September 19, 2014 11:50 PM
  • It's a bit more tedious but a lot safer and more certain to send the master file empty, with formatting, page setup, views, custom fields etc but without any sub-projects or resources inserted into it, and send the sub-projects and re-assemble the master at the destination.
    Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:03 AM
  • The safest way though s to send as a static master. take a copy of teh master and sub-projects, double-click each sub-project summary task and click unlink on the Advanced tab. This will create a static master for you. Or insert all sub-projects into a new project but uncheck teh Link to project flag. I record a macro of me doing this manually so I just run the macro to create a new static master. (record File, new as first action!).

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, September 20, 2014 8:40 AM