Open with Explorer Displaying Nothing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Me again. I'm having an issue with 1 site. Anyone, apart from me can not use the "Open With Explorer" option. When they click on it, they are getting a window opening but there is no content in it.

I have logged into SharePoint as the user on my machine and Open With Explorer is working but I imagine it's taking into account that I am logged into the machine. The users cannot map a network drive either. When it's mapped to the Shared Documents Library, they also get no content.

They can access all the information fine through the web version of SharePoint but they do need to use Open with Explorer and map a drive to it.

They can "Open with Explorer" on other document libraries within the same site collection. The only difference I can see with this document library is that there are over 18000 items. I have increase Resource Throttling for this.

Please help

Edited to say that the site is in their trusted sites location as they were getting an error before I added it.

Also edited to say this, It seems that Explorer View works for site collection administrators but not for other users that have access to the site collection.

• Edited by SoapyJ Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:59 AM

Answers

• Ok, I seemed to have gotten closer to the bottom of this. It IS a permissions issue that is relating tothe fact that I cannot break inheritance on the document libraries within this site collection.

After running a ResetRoleInheritance() command in powershell, it worked. I had to manually enter the users again but they can use Explorer View now. :)

• Marked as answer by SoapyJ Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• have you tried using a traffic monitoring tool like wireshark or fiddler to check what is going on ?

My SharePoint Blog
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:00 PM
  • No, it's happening with anyone trying to do this under the web application in question. I'm the only one that it actually works for when I am signed into the machine. I am a farm admin.

Other web applications are working fine.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:02 PM
  • It seems that Explorer View works for site collection administrators but not for other users that have access to the site collection.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Hi Milly,

What permissions do you have set for these users? Or do you have any custom permission levels configured? I know that there's a granular permission -

Browse Directories - Enumerate files and folders in a Web site using SharePoint Designer and Web DAV interfaces.

Can you check to see if these users have this permission?

Please Mark Answered if my reply solves your problem. Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Ok, I seemed to have gotten closer to the bottom of this. It IS a permissions issue that is relating tothe fact that I cannot break inheritance on the document libraries within this site collection.

After running a ResetRoleInheritance() command in powershell, it worked. I had to manually enter the users again but they can use Explorer View now. :)

• Marked as answer by SoapyJ Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:43 PM