"The operation system is not presently configured to run this application" - Tried every solution already posted out there...please help! RRS feed

• Question

• I've Googled every solution to this problem and I can't figure out how to fix it. I get this error, "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application.", sometimes 15 times/day.

The operating system is not presently configured to run this application.

I'm using Office 365 (Click-to-run) with Skype for Business and Windows 10 Enterprise with updates installed.

I've gone to program files and done an online repair, a full repair, a full uninstall and reinstall, uninstall with Office Cleanup Tool and reinstall, and manual uninstall (registry settings, etc) and reinstall.

Nothing I do seems to work. When I click ok, I get this error:

I've downloaded OffCat and run it against Skype for Business with no issues.

I'm technical so I can handle any suggestions to try and figure this out.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:50 PM

All replies

• i have the same issue.  tried repairing office, no go.
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:01 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Based on your description, you can’t open SFB client on your computer, did the issue only appear on the specific computer?

For this issue, we suggest the following troubleshooting steps:
    1. Use another computer test if there is the same issue.
    2. On your computer, please try to perform a clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

The following blog is for your reference
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19663875

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:15 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Based on your description, you can’t open SFB client on your computer, did the issue only appear on the specific computer?

For this issue, we suggest the following troubleshooting steps:
    1. Use another computer test if there is the same issue.
    2. On your computer, please try to perform a clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

The following blog is for your reference
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19663875

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Hi Alice,

That is not correct. I can open and use the SFB client. I just receive the error and click ok, then it appears to crash, but SFB continues to work without interruption. I've tried collecting crash dumps but none are being produced.

The blog you linked just explains how to uninstall/reinstall, which I've tried many times.

Thanks,

Alex

Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:09 PM
  • Hello Alex, 

To isolate software related issue , we can also try downloading basic version and then can monitor  if it  behaves the same 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=49440

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

Friday, February 24, 2017 10:13 AM
  • Hello Alex, 

To isolate software related issue , we can also try downloading basic version and then can monitor  if it  behaves the same 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=49440

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

I am unable to install that because I have the Click-to-Run version of Office 365 and I'm unable to install Skype for Business without removing all of Office 365. This issue is happening with others in my organization I've found out too.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 6:52 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.

Did you perform a clean boot on your computer?
    Based on your description, I understand that you could open SFB and then you receive this error, I have seen some situations which is similar like this, the issue is resolved by deleting by SFB cache files, please try it.
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com

Regards,

Alice Wang

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.

Did you perform a clean boot on your computer?
    Based on your description, I understand that you could open SFB and then you receive this error, I have seen some situations which is similar like this, the issue is resolved by deleting by SFB cache files, please try it.
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com

Regards,

Alice Wang

I finally got around to a clean boot and also deleted the cache files and still have the issue. I opened Skype 4 Business and waited maybe a minute then opened Outlook and after another minute or so I received the same message.  I don't know if this was a coincidence or if it was related.

I'm sometimes getting it 20-40 times per day.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Were you able to resolve the issue?

I have got the problem now since a few weeks.

As I also have issues with outlook search, which kind of seems related to skype locking down the outlook profile file, I think all this issues might be related to outlook and skype blocking each other.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:00 PM
  • Were you able to resolve the issue?

I have got the problem now since a few weeks.

As I also have issues with outlook search, which kind of seems related to skype locking down the outlook profile file, I think all this issues might be related to outlook and skype blocking each other.

No, last I heard somebody in my org opened a ticket and they just said it's a known issue they're working on. I would always receive it when changing networks (wifi to wired, home internet to work internet, etc).

I haven't received it in a while though and it seemingly just went away...so maybe an update solved it?

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:45 PM
  • I'm experiencing something very similar on some of the PC's on my network. I've disable auto startup and still get the same error even when I don't start Skype for Business. I also get a COM surrogate error.

Daryl Sensenig Tents For Rent

Monday, August 7, 2017 5:18 PM
  • Is it any update about this? I have the same issue on my company laptop. I do not use Outlook but Lotus notes, so the issue sis not related to Outlook in my case.

Monday, August 28, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Experiencing the same "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application." error here, but it only shows up with I try to open the Recording Manager.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:50 PM
  • Experiencing the same "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application." error here, but it only shows up with I try to open the Recording Manager.

That's exactly what I am experiencing also. I get the message pop up, then it goes away. Some users find they can't get into voice mails through the Skype4B client, myself I couldn't get into the Recording Manager.

I closed Skype4B manually (it's set to automatically run at launch), closed Outlook - reopened Outlook, then started Skype4B. I was then able to get into the recording manager.

Seems to be the issue reported in this blog post..

https://chentiangemalc.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/case-of-the-skype-for-business-2015-operating-system-is-not-presently-configured-to-run-this-application/#comment-6416

.. as that work-around has kind of resolved it for me. clearly this is a bug introduced in the Office 365 click-to-run version at some point?

Monday, September 4, 2017 2:09 AM
  • I had the same problem with Skype for Business and I solved it going to Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features (Win + R) and then right clicking on the Microsoft Office program, choose Change and then the Online Repair option.

May be this can be useful to someone else in the future ... ;-)

Enzo CONTINI

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:52 AM
  • i found this on another forum

Run cmd as administrator and type

for /f "tokens=2 skip=6" %G in ('whoami /user') do reg delete hku\%G_Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE /f

this did fix it for me.

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:51 AM
  • I had the same problem with Skype for Business. Here the "simple" solution I found: 

http://enzocontini.wordpress.com/2017/10/25/possible-solution-for-error-the-operation-system-is-not-presently-configured-to-run-this-application

Enzo CONTINI

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:08 AM
  • i found this on another forum

Run cmd as administrator and type

for /f "tokens=2 skip=6" %G in ('whoami /user') do reg delete hku\%G_Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE /f

this did fix it for me.

This worked for me. Thanks! roberti
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:19 PM
  • I haven't tried deleting those tokens yet (machine that has the problem not currently available) but we see the "OS not presently configured to run this application" in two places.

One is shortly after Skype for Business starting up. The error pops up for a second then goes away. This started a few weeks back and doesn't seem to be an issue. It throws no event logs and even though Skype for business has logging turned on there is nothing in the logs. (I'm guessing because the problem happens external to Skype so Skype itself doesn't know about it.)

The other is an in-house app and the error is generated after the app has opened a preview via Crystal Reports and then you try to export the previewed report.

The event log shows the app crashed (event ID 1000) with faulting module mso20Win32client.dll.

We run Win 10 Pro and Office 2016 v1709 with Office365 accounts all in 32-bit mode.

It only happens for one user account on the PC. Admin account is not affected. Downgrading to office v1701 the problem does not exist. Upgrading to later versions of Office 2016 does not fix it. Repairing office does not fix it nor does uninstalling and reinstalling office fix it.

The problem will come and go for some users, and it always happens after the laptop receives KB4023057. It either makes the problem happen, or it fixes it, or it remains as it was. Removing that KB does not fix the problem.

The only work-around we've found is to right-click the app > More... "Run as" and use the same user account that it fails with when starting the app normally.

You may see more info about the problem here: "https://superuser.com/questions/ 1397560/mso20win32client-dll-abending-exception-code-0x012d9312-crystal-reports-of" Note: I had to put a space in the link so it would be accepted.

Monday, May 6, 2019 8:23 PM
  • It worked for me also. 
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:10 AM