Restoring an Exchange 2007 DB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have upgrade Exchnage 2007 to the latest updates (SP3 & rollup 4) and Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 (latest udates) now can't do granular backups to tape or even disk most of the time, but can do database only backups of the passive node (well it is working while I type this).  Symantec have been looking at it all week!

We have and Exchnage cluster and I will need to restore individul emails and remember in the old days of Exchnage 2003 you could use a recovery storage group and Exmerge.  How can I do this in Exchnage 2007 and with the complication of have a CCR cluster?

If I can get this to work then I don't care about Backup Exec 2010R3's granular backup option, but how can I restore a database via Backup Exec 2010 and pull out individual items, plus not overwrite a live DB?

Thanks

• Edited by TB303 Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:51 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue should be due to operating system and service pack level on both source and target should be same. Please check whether MS VSS KB940349 is installed on the recovery server. After installing the windows update and rebooting the server, check the status.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi

1. Create a Recovery Storage group in Tools - Exchange Database Troubleshooter
    2. Add\Associate the Mailbox database which contains the user mailbox that got deleted and it’s available in backup now.
    3. Make the database to be over written by a file restore
    4. Restore the mailbox from the Backup, which will restore the whole database even if you are choosing a single mailbox to recover, make sure your set the Recovery storage group in a separate drive with enough space
    5. On the exchange database trouble shooter tool, Mount the database and select merge or copy the Mailbox content to an existing mailbox

Single Mailbox Recovery in Exchange Server 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124357(EXCHG.80).aspx

restore from backup - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997694(EXCHG.80).aspx

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi, sorry I'm a little confused:

1. I have an emty partition on the active node, do I create the RSG on this node and not worry about the assive node and replication via the CCR?
    2. When restoring the database how does it know not to over write the live database?
    3. From Backup Exec I don't see the mailbox to restore, only the whole database, once restored to the RSG how do I find the user and then get the items from it?

Thanks

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Here are the detailed steps with Backup Exec. Note: Use the Exchange Management Console as far as possible. I have only provided the last link, in the event the screen shots from Backup Exec 2010 R3 should be slightly different from those presented in the first link.

Refer to Henrik Walther's article (second link) for detailed steps on how to do preform single item recovery.

How to restore to an Exchange 2007 Recovery Storage Group using the Exchange Management Console
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51626

Working with Recovery Storage Groups in Exchange 2007
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Working-Recovery-Storage-Groups-Exchange-2007.html

How to restore to a Recovery Storage Group in Exchange 2007 using Exchange Management Shell
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51555

MCTS: Messaging | MCSE: S+M
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi tried the RSG from tape and I get this error:

Job Completion Status 

Job ended: 19 September 2011 at 12:20:43

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe000fed5 - A failure occurred initializing for restore.

Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65237

Errors 

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Restore- \\svr-exch\Microsoft Information Store\Recovery Storage Group 

V-79-57344-65237 - A failure occurred initializing for restore.

Error writing file data.

V-79-57344-65238 - A failure occurred performing pre-restore operation.

V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost.  Operation canceled.

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

The issue should be due to operating system and service pack level on both source and target should be same. Please check whether MS VSS KB940349 is installed on the recovery server. After installing the windows update and rebooting the server, check the status.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:52 AM
  • hi

in exchange 2007 ,you can use database  recovery tool

or powershell

MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, MCSE, MCDBA
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:37 PM