Create SharePoint 2007 My Site without user accessing site RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to script the creation of 100s of SharePoint 2007 "My Sites" in order to deploy and configure a third party vendor's cutomized library in each My Site.  The issue is that after you run the STSADM -createsite ... the My Site doesn't actually get provisioned, I can see the site is created from Central Admin - Site Collections but only when the owner of the site access the My Site URL for the first time does the site actually get provisioned.  When they access the site for the first time they get the notification window with the green animated wheel > "Create My Site" "Please wait while your personal site is setup for the first time...".  Is there another step I can script to provision the site without asking each user to complete the My Site setup by navigating to their My Site?
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:56 PM MySite = Social Computing forum. (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:18 PM

Answers

• But the key is that you have to create the site as a MySite, not just as a Site that uses the right template.  To do that you need to retrieve each userProfile and call the CreatePersonalSite method of that user profile.  YOu can read more about the createpersonalSite method here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.server.userprofiles.userprofile.createpersonalsite%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:55 PM SP 2010 comment removed.
    • Marked as answer by DanArr Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:49 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• But the key is that you have to create the site as a MySite, not just as a Site that uses the right template.  To do that you need to retrieve each userProfile and call the CreatePersonalSite method of that user profile.  YOu can read more about the createpersonalSite method here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.server.userprofiles.userprofile.createpersonalsite%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:55 PM SP 2010 comment removed.
    • Marked as answer by DanArr Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:49 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, I understand.
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:49 PM