Can I apply SQL Server Update in different way to Computer Groups ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are new to WSUS and we have created 2 Computer Groups - "Server" and "Critical" (Critical Server).

My manager prefers to install all Critical and Security Updates to machines in Server Group.  On the other hand, he would like to install SQL Server related updates manually to machines in the "Critical" Group.

May I ask is there any way to handle it ?

Thanks

Monday, March 9, 2020 9:57 PM

Answers

• We have included Windows & SQL Server Products.  Is there any way that we can install only Windows Server components on those Critical Servers automatically and just download SQL Server Components so that we can install manually ?

Provide some of my understanding. What you currently need to implement are:

1. Quality updates related to Windows OS are approved at WSUS and installed automatically on the client.
    2. Updates related to SQL Server are approved in WSUS, and installation is manually triggered on the client.

If my description is correct, then this is indeed impossible to achieve directly in WSUS, because if the above two requirements need to set two related group policy templates, but the same client can only apply one of the related group policies in the end, Therefore, it is impossible to balance the two needs.

As for SCCM's Service Update Point (SUP), it can specify the respective Type of deployment for the update when it is deployed:

• Select Required to create a mandatory software update deployment. The software updates are automatically installed on clients before the installation deadline you configure.
    • Select Available to create an optional software update deployment. This deployment is available for users to install from Software Center.

So, if you need to implement your functions, SCCM functions can be added to your reference: "Manually deploy software updates".

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by TonyJK Friday, March 13, 2020 9:21 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2020 5:25 AM

All replies

• you can apply one server by server.. or by creating different group for SQL related updates
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 2:24 AM
  • Hi Tony,

WSUS can serve as a role in approving updates in your environment. In other words, WSUS can approve the update that the client actually needs, but the installation action (automatic installation or manual installation) is determined by Group Policy or local policy related to Windows Update.

So, in your description, if the client we mentioned is the same server, even if it is in two computer groups, WSUS cannot decide whether its updates are installed automatically or manually. The features you describe may require the service update point role in SCCM to be implemented.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 2:43 AM
  • Dear Udara,

Thanks for your advice.

We indeed planning to create 2 Computer Groups - "Server" and "Critical" in WSUS.  However, we prefer to use Automatic  Approval - Security / Critical Updates. 

We have included Windows & SQL Server Products.  Is there any way that we can install only Windows Server components on those Critical Servers automatically and just download SQL Server Components so that we can install manually ?

Needless to say, we can download both Windows and SQL Server components & install manually.

Cheers

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 5:54 AM
  • We have included Windows & SQL Server Products.  Is there any way that we can install only Windows Server components on those Critical Servers automatically and just download SQL Server Components so that we can install manually ?

Provide some of my understanding. What you currently need to implement are:

1. Quality updates related to Windows OS are approved at WSUS and installed automatically on the client.
    2. Updates related to SQL Server are approved in WSUS, and installation is manually triggered on the client.

If my description is correct, then this is indeed impossible to achieve directly in WSUS, because if the above two requirements need to set two related group policy templates, but the same client can only apply one of the related group policies in the end, Therefore, it is impossible to balance the two needs.

As for SCCM's Service Update Point (SUP), it can specify the respective Type of deployment for the update when it is deployed:

• Select Required to create a mandatory software update deployment. The software updates are automatically installed on clients before the installation deadline you configure.
    • Select Available to create an optional software update deployment. This deployment is available for users to install from Software Center.

So, if you need to implement your functions, SCCM functions can be added to your reference: "Manually deploy software updates".

Regards,
    Yic

• Marked as answer by TonyJK Friday, March 13, 2020 9:21 AM
    Friday, March 13, 2020 5:25 AM
  • Yes, it is what I am after and thanks for letting me know that it is impossible to achieve via WSUS.

Unfortunately, SCCM is managed by another staff that he doesn't want me to touch :(

Thanks

Friday, March 13, 2020 8:58 AM
  • Glad to help you!

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, March 16, 2020 6:02 AM