Office 2007 Mail Merge Filter Glitch RRS feed

• Question

• The MS Office 2007 Mail Merge Filter automatically adds an "or" component that causes the filter to fail.

If I set "Field" "Is not blank" as a criterion.  It works.  But if I add and "AND" such as "AND" "Field" "Not equal to", the system automatically adds and "Or" "Field" 'Is blank" then my filter fails.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments on using the Filter of Microsoft Mail Merger of Word 2007 with the Mail Merge Filter feature.

-- L. James

-- 

L. D. James

ljames@apollo3.com

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check the issue by starting Word with /a switch.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.       Exit Word 2007

2.       Click Start

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office12\winword.exe" /a

In Windows XP

1.       Exit Word 2007

2.       Click Start, and then click Run.

3.       In the Open box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

However, if the problem persists after this, we might need to repair the Office program from Control Panel > Programs and Features, right click the Office program and choose Change, then Repair

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 3, 2010 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Check the issue by starting Word with /a switch.

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.       Exit Word 2007

2.       Click Start

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

In Windows XP

1.       Exit Word 2007

2.       Click Start, and then click Run.

3.       In the Open box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

However, if the problem persists after this, we might need to repair the Office program from Control Panel > Programs and Features, right click the Office program and choose Change, then Repair

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 3, 2010 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:13 AM
  • I experienced the same problem as described by the OP, but in Excel 2016. In other words, the problem remains. Based on troubleshooting, I believe it is a coding bug. Repairing the installation did not fix it.

However, I was able to find a workaround. I used the condition "Does not contain" rather than "Is not blank," and magically the filter worked as it should.

Friday, September 29, 2017 4:49 AM
  • I experienced the same problem as described by the OP, but in Excel 2016. In other words, the problem remains. Based on troubleshooting, I believe it is a coding bug. Repairing the installation did not fix it.

It wouldn't have fixed it in Word 2007, either; it's a well-known mailmerge filter bug. The post marked as 'Answer' in 2010 wasn't one at all.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, September 29, 2017 5:09 AM