none
Uninstalling IE11 doesn't fully remove it RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi. If I uninstall Internet Explorer 11 through control panel the uninstallation finishes but it doesn't fully remove IE11. It leaves the PC running IE9 but unable to reinstall IE11 because it thinks it is still installed. I can resolve this by using the Microsoft Fixit site for problem installs and uninstalls, the tool finding IE11 still even though control panel doesn't. What I want to know though is what the fixit tool did to clean up the IE11 uninstallation so I can prepare a script to automate it on a number of machines. Can anybody enlighten me?

    Thanks

    Mark

    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:38 PM

Answers

  • Did you run the "MSIExec /X" command against the actual MSI you are using, not my example using the GUID? I can't promise the GUID will be the same given ours was made using the IEAK. Find the MSI used to install and right-click "Uninstall", this is the same as running "MSIExec /X" against it, we've got a lot of experience with this and I am certain this is your issue...

    Jack

    • Marked as answer by Mark Salter Friday, December 4, 2015 3:07 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:44 AM

All replies

  • What I want to know though is what the fixit tool did to clean up the IE11 uninstallation so I can prepare a script to automate it on a number of machines. Can anybody enlighten me?

    Run ProcMon when the tool is running and then filter with Category Is Write.  Alternatively, do it for the uninstall to find out what is "still installed".   BTW was this after a boot?  If there is no intervening boot the symptom is probably understandable.


    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi. If I uninstall Internet Explorer 11 through control panel the uninstallation finishes but it doesn't fully remove IE11. It leaves the PC running IE9 but unable to reinstall IE11 because it thinks it is still installed. I can resolve this by using the Microsoft Fixit site for problem installs and uninstalls, the tool finding IE11 still even though control panel doesn't. What I want to know though is what the fixit tool did to clean up the IE11 uninstallation so I can prepare a script to automate it on a number of machines. Can anybody enlighten me?

    Thanks

    Mark

    Yes what you are seeing is very annoying and standard behavior sadly for IE installs. What happens is the MSI that contains the Setup.exe is left behind, so when you try and re-run it, the Windows Installer database still sees the MSI stub and thinks it's installed. We have the same issue for any machine that rolls back to a previous version of IE, only the IE11 "Update" is removed but the MSI stub is never uninstalled. For those machines we simply run;

    "MSIExec /X "IE11-Setup-Full.msi" /QB-!

    ...before we attempt to re-install IE11, this removes the footprint of the MSI. You should be able to do the same thing by replacing the Product Code like this;

    MSIExec /X {E13F15B3-B0A5-4A8C-BC83-B464950EF728} /QB-!

    Jack

    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:49 PM
  • Thanks both. I did try filtering output of procmon but was struggling to identify what I needed due to the amount of output. I've now tried the msiexec /x and that doesn't seem to have worked, so I'll wade through the procmon output again to see what I can identify. Thanks both.

    Mark

    
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Did you run the "MSIExec /X" command against the actual MSI you are using, not my example using the GUID? I can't promise the GUID will be the same given ours was made using the IEAK. Find the MSI used to install and right-click "Uninstall", this is the same as running "MSIExec /X" against it, we've got a lot of experience with this and I am certain this is your issue...

    Jack

    • Marked as answer by Mark Salter Friday, December 4, 2015 3:07 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:44 AM
  • Thanks Jack. Will try again. I tried the msiexec against the msi rather than the guid to no avail but I'll do some more testing and post back soon.

    Thanks

    Mark

    Friday, December 4, 2015 11:59 AM
  • I'll wade through the procmon output again to see what I can identify.

    Instead of "wading through" it, it helps to have a hypothesis that you want to test.  Did you try applying the Category Is Write filter?  You could then summarize those results by using the Count Occurrences tool on the Result field.  If there were some permissions problems (or in-use problems) you might be able to see where they were that way.  Similarly you should be able to see whether in-use problems are causing module replacements to be deferrred.  A complication there could be that it seems that can happen in more ways now than the simple way it used to happen.  But at least checking for such things should be straightforward instead of just browsing haphazardly.

    And now you have Jack's concept to validate by tracing your uninstall and perhaps filtering with just Path contains setup.

     

    Good luck



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Friday, December 4, 2015 2:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Chased down the correct GUID and it worked.

    Thanks

    Mark

    Friday, December 4, 2015 3:08 PM
  • Glad to hear it ;-) We were quite annoyed for a while too, this goes all the way back to IE8 BTW...

    Jack

    Friday, December 4, 2015 5:59 PM