Sorting Files not working properly RRS feed

• Question

• When importing files from a memory stick the files won't sort into date order, all the files already in the folder sort into date order but the new ones just stay at the bottom(top) when clicking sort and are ignored in the sort process!! I can manually move them to where they should be but with 2000+ photos thats not time I have

Even putting the files into their own folder to sort,they stay in the original order imported from the memory stick.

I thought it was the memory stick so have tried 4 different makes but the same thing happens.

I had edited the registry to be able to drag the files manually but this doesn't affect the sorting. (I went back with the backup registry just to be sure my edit had not messed up sorting but it happens anyway) I can reproduce on another windows 7 machine but not on Vista or XP

I have tried under a new user account too but issue still exists.

I've re-indexed after importing but to no avail.

I've tried sorting using date created and date modified. The only way to get the files in order is do it manually!
    Hope someone can help

CPU E8600 MEM Crucial Ballistix 8GB @ 900Mhz : MB Asus Striker 2 Formula : GFX Zotac 8800GT 1MB AMp Edition x 2 in SLi : XBLADE Case : PSU OCZ 1200Watt : PVR Wintv PVR-1300. Tri Boot - Win XP SP3, Win Vista SP2, Win7 Ultimate
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 7:50 AM

Answers

• Hi

I've tried each category(under more) individually and it has no effect. The files just remain unsorted.

I've not tried another 3 different memory chips from different people and the same always happen on the imported files.

I have now burned the files to a  DVD and then copied them over from the DVD to the HDD and they now sort!! Something is not right somewhere.

CPU E8600 MEM Crucial Ballistix 8GB @ 800Mhz : MB Asus Striker 2 Formula : GFX Zotac 8800GT 1MB AMp Edition x 2 in SLi : XBLADE Case : PSU OCZ 1200Watt : PVR Wintv PVR-1300. Tri Boot - Win XP SP3, Win Vista SP2, Win7 Ultimate
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, June 10, 2011 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:21 AM

All replies

• Which one you choose to sort the files? Date Modified or Date Created?

Click Sort - More, choose the Category and re-sort to check the results.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Hi

I've tried each category(under more) individually and it has no effect. The files just remain unsorted.

I've not tried another 3 different memory chips from different people and the same always happen on the imported files.

I have now burned the files to a  DVD and then copied them over from the DVD to the HDD and they now sort!! Something is not right somewhere.

CPU E8600 MEM Crucial Ballistix 8GB @ 800Mhz : MB Asus Striker 2 Formula : GFX Zotac 8800GT 1MB AMp Edition x 2 in SLi : XBLADE Case : PSU OCZ 1200Watt : PVR Wintv PVR-1300. Tri Boot - Win XP SP3, Win Vista SP2, Win7 Ultimate
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, June 10, 2011 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Sorting manually is not possible in Windows 7. Send your feedback here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:27 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Friday, May 11, 2012 2:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:27 AM