Adaptec 19160 & crcdisk.sys hang RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

I've installed Vista Beta2 recently on to my primary PATA hard drive, but unfortunately it seems to hang whenever I have my Adaptec 19160 SCSI card inserted into the machine. The SCSI card hosts a raid1 array for my Linux install, and whenever Vista boots it just hangs solid. Trying safe mode reveals that it hangs at the point where it loads crcdisk.sys.

Is there anything that can be done to avoid this issue? Or do I scrap Vista for just now?

Regards

Kyle
    Sunday, September 3, 2006 9:30 PM

All replies

• I wish I had better news for you that what I do.  Seems that the Vista has a problem reading the raid set after a reboot.  I was able to install like you and when it rebooted it appeared to hang as well.

A couple of boots using normal, then a reboot using safe, then reboot using GHOST boot disk to restore the image I created just prior.  Thank heavens.

Anyways best of luck with this.  I may take another 8 hours and install it again, but not today.  MS really needs to work on the install routine, just telling a person that it will appear to freeze is not appropriate, it takes me over 4 hours to install each time, I just start it and go to bed.  Stupid way of installing an OS. 

Friday, September 22, 2006 11:36 AM
  • I have a 19160 on my XP Pro machine that I plan to install RC1 on, hopefully dual booting.

The scsi serves an old hard drive that I can do without since it's starting to get flakey, a couple of old Plextor CD and CDRW drives that are disconnected <g> but I do use my HP SJ5P scanner that is on the external scsi connector on the controller.

I was hoping I could keep that working by using TWAIN as I do in XP -- any thoughts on this?

Will what is being said here about the 19160 stop my machine from booting up to a non-scsi drive (SATA BTW on the mobo controller (ASUS K8N)

TIA

Hugh

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 2:13 AM