none
Missing cleaning tape? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Could someone please tell me why our DPM 2012 server with Quantum SuperLoader 3 (with SDLT600 tape drive inside) doesn’t see Slot14 (cleaning tape)? All tapes, including cleaning one, have bar code labels on them and Slot14 has been assigned as the “cleaning tape location” from within SuperLoader web interface. We have been using this type library with the Symantec Backup Exec previously without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

DPM2012 Library

Quantum SuperLoader 3

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try not specifying slot14 as a cleaning tape in the superloader, and instead let dpm detect it as a cleaning tape. If dpm sees the slot, but does not identify the tape as a cleaner, then manually specify that slot as cleaner slot in dpm.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:11 AM
  • Nope..., even after restarting DPM and SuperLoader few times, DPM still don’t see Slot14?! What else should I try?!

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

Is the tape cleaner removed from the library - if not please remove it then perform a rescan.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Thanks Mike for your help,

I did remove cleaning tape from the SuperLoader and slot14 is unassigned from being tape cleaning slot. Just for testing purposes moved ‘normal’ tape from slot16 onto slot14. Rescan tape library in DPM and SuperLoader. As you can see from the picture below DPM is recognising slot14 now, hooray… Inserted cleaning tape on to slot16, rescan the tape library few times … but DPM is showing that slot16 is empty!? Cleaning tape does have a bar code label on it. However, the number on the label doesn’t start with ‘CLN’,... just plain number. Is that matter? Right clicking on the slot16 doesn’t give me an option to select this slot as a cleaning slot. What else should I try?

Slot14

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi,

Ok. forward progress.  I didn't think it required a CLN... label, I thought we could mark any tape as a cleaning tape, but I don't have a library that requires cleaning to test that.  Just for grins, can you make a label that starts with CLN... ?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Sorry I don’t have and I can’t print bar code label that starts with ‘CLN’. I can use normal tape in slot16 but as soon as I put cleaning tape…, DPM is showing that Slot16 is empty. Perhaps I need to run some kind of forcing rescan PowerShell command or something else to try?

Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Guess what?! As soon as I created custom label with ‘CLN’ in front of the numbers…, DPM recognise this tape as cleaning!

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:15 AM
  • Nice - thanks for the update.

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:27 PM