how do i downgrade windows 7 to windows xp! RRS feed

• Question

• hi. :(

i want to downgrade to windows xp sp3 but. When i put the cd on it prevents me from installing.

the "install windows xp" button is grey and i cant press it help!

:( please!

Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:53 AM

Answers

• What problems are you having?  I need to know if you are successfully booting the computer with the Windows XP CD.

Did you go in the BIOS and set the Startup or Boot order so that the computer boots to the CD drive before the hard disk?

Are you booting to the Text Mode (blue text screens) Windows XP setup program?

Is the setup program seeing the hard disk(s)?  Are you getting to the page where you can select and format an install partition?

That is really all there is to a clean install, boot with the CD, select the partition where you want to install and format it.  Then just follow the on screen instructions.  If you can't make it that far give us more information.

When installed on new disks Vista and Windows 7 align the first partition at Absolute Sector 2048, this might be causing problems.  To eliminate this problem you can delete and recreate the partitions  when you are at the disk/partition selection screen, to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments don't forget to reboot after you delete and create partition and before you proceed with the installation.  The second method, (which I prefer), is to zero out the first few MB of the hard disk, or zero out the whole disk.  You can go to your hard disk manufacturer's web site and download a utility that will do this.  These utilities are in the form of a bootable CD or floppy, you boot the computer with the utility and then zero out part of or the whole disk, after you do this the Windows XP setup program will see the disk as a new one and it will write a proper MBR and align the first partition in the usual manner.  It goes without saying that all the information on the disk will be lost when you zero out the disk, backup your files before you do this!  If your hard disk has a Recovery Partition which allows you to return the computer to factory condition it will be lost and if you do not have a set of Windows 7 recovery CDs/DVDs you will have to contact your computer manufacturer for a set if you want to reinstall Windows 7 again.

If you are still having problems please elaborate and I will try to give you more help, at this point I don't know how far you are making it in the setup program and which problems you are having, if you get error messages please give us the exact messages that you are getting.

John

Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:57 PM
  • No, you cant use same key

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 7, 2013 11:17 AM

All replies

• There is no downgrading, you have to install Windows XP cleanly.

Backup your private and personal data files then boot the computer with the Windows XP cd and when you are at the Disk/Partition selection screen select the partition where you want to install Windows XP and have the setup program format the partition before you install.  If you delete partitions and create new ones at the Disk/Partition selection screen be sure to reboot the computer before you proceed to install Windows XP, this will avoid unexpected drive letter assignments, like having Windows on a drive other than C:.

John

Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:19 PM
  • yeah but windows xp setup prevents me from installing!

i want my clean windows xp back (sorry i said downgrading! i mean having windows xp back! )

Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:27 PM
  • What do you mean?  Are you booting the computer with the Windows XP cd?

Please see here:  Are you booting to the Text Mode Setup?

John
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:49 PM
  • if this is my only help i vote as helpful and reply. :D
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:17 AM
  • What problems are you having?  I need to know if you are successfully booting the computer with the Windows XP CD.

Did you go in the BIOS and set the Startup or Boot order so that the computer boots to the CD drive before the hard disk?

Are you booting to the Text Mode (blue text screens) Windows XP setup program?

Is the setup program seeing the hard disk(s)?  Are you getting to the page where you can select and format an install partition?

That is really all there is to a clean install, boot with the CD, select the partition where you want to install and format it.  Then just follow the on screen instructions.  If you can't make it that far give us more information.

When installed on new disks Vista and Windows 7 align the first partition at Absolute Sector 2048, this might be causing problems.  To eliminate this problem you can delete and recreate the partitions  when you are at the disk/partition selection screen, to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments don't forget to reboot after you delete and create partition and before you proceed with the installation.  The second method, (which I prefer), is to zero out the first few MB of the hard disk, or zero out the whole disk.  You can go to your hard disk manufacturer's web site and download a utility that will do this.  These utilities are in the form of a bootable CD or floppy, you boot the computer with the utility and then zero out part of or the whole disk, after you do this the Windows XP setup program will see the disk as a new one and it will write a proper MBR and align the first partition in the usual manner.  It goes without saying that all the information on the disk will be lost when you zero out the disk, backup your files before you do this!  If your hard disk has a Recovery Partition which allows you to return the computer to factory condition it will be lost and if you do not have a set of Windows 7 recovery CDs/DVDs you will have to contact your computer manufacturer for a set if you want to reinstall Windows 7 again.

If you are still having problems please elaborate and I will try to give you more help, at this point I don't know how far you are making it in the setup program and which problems you are having, if you get error messages please give us the exact messages that you are getting.

John

Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:57 PM
  • After you put in the CD and try to boot, goto your Setup Menu -> Device Configurations / Boot Options.

Check for the SATA Native Mode and turn it to IDE. Save changes and Restart again.

Boot from the CD and Windows XP installation should work fine.

Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:17 PM
  • There is no option for Downgrade but you Can download the Virtual PC from the link below

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

using this you will get the same interface as that of Windows XP and you can run the sofwares for XP also in it.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:13 AM
  • hi. :(

i want to downgrade to windows xp sp3 but. When i put the cd on it prevents me from installing.

the "install windows xp" button is grey and i cant press it help!

:( please!

There are some steps but you need to insure this options. Try to figure out if you have the drivers on the system unit. Then open your Windows 7 drive (usually ) and make sure that you haven't deleted the Windows.old folder, which was created by Windows while installing Windows 7 on XP drive. Note that without the help of Windows.old folder you won't be able to downgrade from Windows 7. If Windows.old folder size is two times as large as the Windows 7 drive free space, disable system restore feature and also disk cleanup to get some free space. But this was tricky. But there are steps for Beginners. Downgrade OS from Win 7 to Win XP | Techyv.com. This can help you alot.

Monday, September 24, 2012 3:09 PM
  • ok..i have win 7 product key..but i want to downgrade the win7 to win XP. can i using the win7 product key to active the win licease??
    Monday, June 3, 2013 7:47 AM
  • No, you cant use same key

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, June 7, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Any success?

Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:40 AM