random BSOD after motherboard replacement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I cannot get my machine working again after a mainboard replacement. I get different blue screens with stop errors 0x21, 0x50, 0x7e and more. However, I can boot into save mode without problems.

I have already done memory diagnostics, hard disk diagnostics and Chkdsk on the disk but did not see any errors.

I do have a copy of Windows XP on the same machine and after the initial driver installations and - of course - reactivaton Windows XP does run ok without errors.

However, Vista obviously still has major problems. I tried to repair from the original dvd but noticed - I haven't tried a repair on vista before - there is no option just to install over the old installation without losing everything.

I tried to deinstall everything that seems hardware related in safe mode but this is not possible. I get an error that Windows Installer is not available in safe mode. As I cannot boot normal without getting a BSOD I cannot deinstall the software. However, I don't know whether it could be the cause.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Klaus

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:23 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Klaus,

Have you reinstalled the system after replacing the motherboard? If not, please reinstall it as replacing the motherboard without reinstalling the system will probably cause driver compatibility issues.

If you have reinstalled the system after replacing the motherboard, please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1.   Update the drivers for the motherboard and video card.

2.   Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. If you have recently installed any software, hardware or drivers, please remove them.

3.   Ensure all the hardware devices, installed device drivers, and installed applications are all compatible with Windows Vista.

4.   For Compatibility information, please refer to Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List:

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

5.   Disable all the third party startup programs and services by using the MSConfig.exe utility shipped with Windows Vista. To use this tool, you can refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Tim,

if I understand you correctly, there is no way to replace a motherboard without reinstalling everything in Vista anymore.

I do know how to identify the software that might be the reason, however, I do not know how to deinstall it since Windows Installer refuses to run in safe mode.

Q1: How can I deinstall software in safe mode?

Q2: How can I replace the files of the Vista Operating System from the original DVD?

Thanks in advance,

Klaus

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:19 AM
  •  

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for the reply.

We recommend reinstalling the system after replacing the motherboard. Sometimes the system can still work after replacing the motherboard, however, unexpected issues may occur due to compatibility issues.

Now let me answer your two questions:

Q1: How can I deinstall software in safe mode?

Normally in Safe Mode we cannot uninstall programs using Windows Installer as it is not loaded in Safe Mode. Some third-party software may be uninstalled if their uninstaller can be loaded.

Q2: You can use the following method:

1.  Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start , click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and then click Run as administrator . If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow . 

2.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. 

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Obviously the problem is not related to the motherboard replacement.

I have replaced the whole pc with a brand new machine and the problem is still there

I have used Vista and Windows 7 but get the same errors when the user logs in.

The machine ran fine before the user logged on the first time.

I do not use server based profiles so i have no idea what could cause that problem but obviously it is user-related

/Klaus
    Monday, May 18, 2009 1:12 PM
  • I think the problem is more related to hardware as it occurs right after a motherboard replacement. As mentioned by professionals here, you should first try to update all of your system drivers with the latest ones and make sure that your system is virus free. After checking the system file integrity with "sfc /scannow" utility and checking the hardware compatibility, if you are still experiencing the problem and you think it's user account related, you should try creating a new account and try to produce same problems with the newly created user account.

If you still have same issues, than there is a big chance that it is a hardware related issue. In that case, you can try to do a "Sysprep" in order to refresh all the drivers and regenerate the SIDs for your system.

Here is a link to understand and how to use Sysprep from Microsoft

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783215(WS.10).aspx

Here is a link from my blog where you can find instructions for syspreping a Windows 7 briefly...

http://elmaskubilay.blogspot.com/2011/05/easy-windows-7-sysprep-and-imaging.html

Kubilay 

Kubilay Elmas
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:40 AM