Moss Creating web application RRS feed

• Question

• I have a  sql database instance created in sql. I want to create a web application in Moss and use this database instance as my content database while creating web application. how I can do that? 
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:13 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:20 PM

Answers

• You can find the detailed steps on creating Web Application here on Technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262668%28office.12%29.aspx

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:01 PM
  • It's pretty easy. When you create the new web application through Central Administration, it will prompt you for the SQL Instance and database name to use, along with credentials to use to access it.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:29 PM
  • HI,

This can be done very easily.

While creating central admin UI then at the time of creation you will find an option to add the same in a textbox.

You need to make sure that the account you are using to create web application should have sufficient rights in the database as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:59 AM
  • Eblogin,

Could you be specific on your question? As my understanding from the above, you basically want to attach the content database exist in SQL server while creating a new web application, Am i correct? If so, just create the web application and while it ask to provide the DB name, you can paste/write the content database name exist in SQL instance, that will get attach to the new web application. But ensure this content DB is not connected to any of the site collection within the farm.

If you want to create a new web application with new content DB, then pass the SQL instance along with content DB name and ensure that your farm account has DB creator and Security Admins roles on the DB server, that will allow you to create the new DB for your web application.

Mohammed Hussain
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:46 PM

All replies

• It's pretty easy. When you create the new web application through Central Administration, it will prompt you for the SQL Instance and database name to use, along with credentials to use to access it.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:29 PM
  • You can find the detailed steps on creating Web Application here on Technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262668%28office.12%29.aspx

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:01 PM
  • HI,

This can be done very easily.

While creating central admin UI then at the time of creation you will find an option to add the same in a textbox.

You need to make sure that the account you are using to create web application should have sufficient rights in the database as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:59 AM
  • Eblogin,

Could you be specific on your question? As my understanding from the above, you basically want to attach the content database exist in SQL server while creating a new web application, Am i correct? If so, just create the web application and while it ask to provide the DB name, you can paste/write the content database name exist in SQL instance, that will get attach to the new web application. But ensure this content DB is not connected to any of the site collection within the farm.

If you want to create a new web application with new content DB, then pass the SQL instance along with content DB name and ensure that your farm account has DB creator and Security Admins roles on the DB server, that will allow you to create the new DB for your web application.

Mohammed Hussain
    Friday, August 5, 2011 12:46 PM