none
Wide tabs that don't shrink until I click outside IE RRS feed

• Question

• Internet explorer on my Win 7 laptop was upgraded to IE 10 and since then I am seeing an irritating behavior with the tabs. If I create a new tab and then close it, the remaining one tab is very wide, occupying the width of both the tabs (see screenshot below). Now, if I create another tab, it is also very wide. If I click somewhere outside IE (for example, in the taskbar or on the start button), the tabs resize again to their usual size.

I just hate this behavior and hope that Microsoft fixes the problem soon.

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:29 AM

Answers

• hope that Microsoft fixes the problem soon.

Unlikely.  It was a deliberate change made by popular request.  The idea is that you can quickly close multiple tabs without having to move your pointer.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by JS321 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by tracycaiModerator Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Click your mouse between the address bar and the first tab, Drag to the right to resize you Tabs area

or

Right Click on the toolbar to display the context menu, select "Show tabs on a separate row"

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Did you find a solution to the problem? I'm having the same problem. It's no big deal-just irritating.
    Monday, July 1, 2013 10:43 PM
  • hope that Microsoft fixes the problem soon.

Unlikely.  It was a deliberate change made by popular request.  The idea is that you can quickly close multiple tabs without having to move your pointer.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by JS321 Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by tracycaiModerator Thursday, July 4, 2013 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:28 PM
    Answerer
  • Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback.
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:52 PM