Latest Win10 update has messed up my display driver. Now have a blank screen RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop downloaded a big update yesterday afternoon and scheduled a restart for 5am.

When I check this morning the laptop screen was blank.

I realised that the intel display driver is messed up because, with various key presses, I momentarily see a mouse cursor. I can login to it, even though I can't see anything on the screen, and I can hear Skype connect soon after.

I'd like to get into safe mode, to rollback the driver, but I can't do this using F8 because I'm using a UEFI BIOS and an SSD. I've tried BCDEDIT in an attempt to ensure that the F8 option was available to me (to no avail), I've tried using keystrokes to select Start>Power>Restart (holding shift) (I used another laptop that I have to work out how to do this), I've tried downloading and booting from a windows 10 recovery disk, but there's no option there to get into safe mode from there. The auto-fix option on the win10 boot disk didnt find any start up issues (as expected, but tried in desperation!).

I also tried connecting an external monitor via HDMI and another external monitor via a USB HDMI adapter. Neither showed an image.

Any ideas ???! I'm stumped!

:-)

Thanks.

• Edited by Paul_Coe Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:46 PM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 3:41 PM

Answers

• I have rolled back to the previous build and the laptop is now usable again.

For other people who may need to do this:

Settings>Update and Security>Recovery>Go back to an earlier build.

That's not to say that this issue wont happen again though I guess.

A big thank you goes to Mr Happy for the support!

Best regards,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul_Coe Friday, May 6, 2016 9:06 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 9:06 AM

All replies

• To get some options power the machine off during the early start of Windows twice, the third start it will offer recovery options as has had start issues. So see the spinning circle, hold power until it goes off, repeat so see spinning balls again hold power until off. Third time let it boot hopefully some options will came that will offer something to work with.
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:35 PM
  • Thank you Mr Happy.

I can now get into safe mode using your suggestion.

I can un-install the display driver (and delete the driver files) but it just gets automatically re-installed about 2 mins after I've rebooted and logged in - and Im back in the same old situation.

I've tried blocking WIndowsUpdate using a hosts file hack from here:

https://www.aqtronix.com/?PageID=96

and here:

http://dinetricks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/disable-windows-update.html

...but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I've even downloaded the latest gfx driver from Intel and installed it before it was automatically updated.. Same issue occurred.

Oh well. Time to reinstall Windows 10 and set my network to a metered connection. Hope that works! Maybe in 6 months I might get the confidence to re-enable updates and wait for the kaboom!

:-)

Thursday, May 5, 2016 9:22 PM
  • How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 is worth a look, if you run the wushowhide.diagcab ignore any extra updates it finds (beyond settings) as it has been known to find extra Silverlight and other updates that Update does not.
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Unfortunately, the diagcab says that there are no updates to hide (or show, even).

Are there any other ideas?

All help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

Friday, May 6, 2016 8:38 AM
  • I have rolled back to the previous build and the laptop is now usable again.

For other people who may need to do this:

Settings>Update and Security>Recovery>Go back to an earlier build.

That's not to say that this issue wont happen again though I guess.

A big thank you goes to Mr Happy for the support!

Best regards,

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul_Coe Friday, May 6, 2016 9:06 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 9:06 AM