SharePoint Database table indexes RRS feed

• Question

• Does SharePoint create indexes on the tables in the SharePoint managed databases, config, content search etc.... ? To be clear I am not asking about the search index used for SharePoint search results. I am asking about SQL Server indexes. Our DBA wants to know.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike, the answer is yes.
    Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by mbuckingham Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike, the answer is yes.
    Stefan Goßner
    Senior Escalation Engineer - Microsoft CSS
    This post is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by mbuckingham Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:32 AM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Stefan is 100% correct, SharePoint databases are created with their own specific indices and there is no need for DBAs to modify them or create new indices. In fact, any sort of changes like that or modifications in general directly to SharePoint's databases or their contents is completed unsupported by Microsoft.

For some good info on what DBAs should be doing to manage SharePoint databases, I'd suggest pointing them to this document: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24282

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Warren Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Is there any documentation available on when SharePoint 2007 adds or deletes databases? 

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Thanks. I have passed that on to our DBA. We don't to do anything that isn't supported. 
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 2:35 AM