none
Virtual adapter on virtual machine says media disconnected. Still able to access network on host.

Question

• I just installed windows 8.1 pro on an MSI z97 pc mate motherboard with I5 3.3 ghz processor, 16 gb ddr3 1600 MHz ram, with embedded realtek pcie gbe NIC. I checked and found that hardware virtualization is enabled by default in the BIOS.

I tried to set up a virtual switch using the latest bios and drivers from MSI. I created a virtual switch choosing the external option and the share with host OS option. I then connected to the VM. No network connectivity on VM but host still worked.

I then used autopatcher to update windows 8.1 on the vm. I removed and reinstalled the virtual switch choosing external option and share with host OS option. Same conditions occurred.

And then I installed the latest NIC driver. Same problem - media disconnected.

I tried this process with the latest driver from the realtek website which was a couple years more up to date. I had such high hopes! Same problem.

I then used msconfig to prevent all non-Microsoft services from starting and rebooted. I removed and recreated the switch and I was still hoping for success. Same exact conditions occurred.

These are the conditions that occur whenever an external switch with host os sharing enabled is installed in between all of these troubleshooting steps. It looks exactly the same every time...

The host machine can still access the network but it does so through the virtual switch. Ipconfig /all on the host reveals the following...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC2
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (New realtek driver):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-CB-8A-97-C9-44
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7c10:6856:eb62:81db%8(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:32:04 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:32:20 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 148425610
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-95-50-9C-D8-CB-8A-97-C9-44
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{48418D61-01FF-420C-A32F-6FF4604C1949}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:a4:28db:9d4e:1153(Preferred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a4:28db:9d4e:1153%4(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134217728
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-95-50-9C-D8-CB-8A-97-C9-44
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

It is strange that the tunnel adapter isatap and the tunneling pseudo interface claim that dhcp is disabled. It is enabled for Ipv4 and Ipv6 on the VM adapter properties.

The adapter on the VM looks indicates that the network cable is unplugged.

It may be noteworthy that I am having an almost identical problem on a separate machine with a slightly newer msi motherboard that was purchased and built at the same time as the machine described above. It is an MSI z97m-g43 guard pro motherboard that has all the same processor, memory, and NIC installed on it with a different BIOS.

On this machine Ipconfig /all reveals that the tunnel adapter isatap shows no media connected. The only difference being that the vm has win xp pro sp3 installed and that there is no network adapter installed whatsoever on the vm. I have followed similar troubleshooting steps as outlined above with no luck.

It is also worth mentioning that when I deinstalled hyper-v and ran msinfo32 I was able to confirm that windows sees the hardware virtualization properly. The info is as follows...

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

...Dave

• Edited by david623 Wednesday, October 14, 2015 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:56 PM

Answers

• All I had to do to fix this was uninstall the VM network adapter and install the legacy network adapter. Obviously I am a VM newbie and am feeling like one too. Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by david623 Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:53 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:51 AM

All replies

• All I had to do to fix this was uninstall the VM network adapter and install the legacy network adapter. Obviously I am a VM newbie and am feeling like one too. Problem solved!
    • Marked as answer by david623 Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:53 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 12:51 AM
  • Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 16, 2015 5:35 AM