none
Device listed as if no client is installed

    Question

  • After hours of debugging through all logs (clients & servers), and checking that all is correct, I am stuck with a little problem:

    A freshly installed device is coming in SCCM console (boundaries & all are ok), and the client is then correctly installed (it seems), but:

    - the device is still showing as "No Client" in SCCM Console

    - Client Activity is empty

    - Client type is "None" instead of "Computer"

    - Some actions are missing in Client Configuration Manager (control panel), but some are there and all the rest is fine (all settings, MP, ...)

    No firewall issue..

    The scheduled task on the client is executed and fine (Client Health return 0x0), but not client check result or anything in the device in SCCM console..

    Any hint greatly appreciated (i also forced the deletion of the device in the console to have a proper detection again, but nothing helps)...

    Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:42 PM

All replies

  • Is the resource for the client listed as approved in the console (you can check on the client's properties)?

    Have you reviewed clientidmanagerstartup.log, ccmmessasging.log, clientlocation.log, and locationservices.log on the client?


    Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

    Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:02 PM
  • It is autoapproved (but it seems sometimes the entry disappear and comes back)

    clientidmanagerstartup.log => OK no error

    clientlocation.log => OK no error

    ccmmessasging.log => A few errors

    EndpointMessage(Queue='UpdateStore', ID={1DB139BD-41D0-4908-A29B-77E6C9CACD5F}): Will be discarded (0x87d00310).    CcmMessaging    12/04/2018 17:52:39    5200 (0x1450)
    EndpointMessage(Queue='ScanAgent', ID={581A4D80-DE3E-4345-87A2-9B2EF0DF2672}): Will be discarded (0x87d00600).    CcmMessaging    12/04/2018 18:31:18    7184 (0x1C10)

    locationservices.log => One error (but rest is fine, MP etc)

    Failed to persist AAD on-boarding info. Error 0x87d00217    LocationServices    12/04/2018 17:51:34    6804 (0x1A94)

    Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Just because you have approval enabled doesn't mean the resource is actually approved.

    Reviewing logs isn't about looking for errors. It's about understanding what the client is trying to do, what it's failing to do or not doing at all, and what it may be doing that is unexpected or incorrect. Errors are often associated with these, but not always, thus you need to read the logs and not just look for errors.

    Given that you have multiple errors, there's almost certainly something incorrect going on. Out of context though, those error codes and messages and nearly meaningless.


    Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

    Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:47 PM
  • Regarding the approval, the Approve/Block entries in context menu are both disabled (and Approved/Blocked entries in properties are both empty)

    We just installed another computer (same hardware) this morning, and no problem with it (so MP is working fine I guess)

    Since we got this problem (even after 2 reinstall), I guess this could have something to do with a problem related to this name/mac adress, and the entry is problematic

    We are trying again with another computer name... hoping that will resolve the problem

    Friday, April 13, 2018 6:07 AM
  • I confirm this goes smoothly after renaming the device...

    We will try to use this name with another hardware/mac to see if that is related to a corrupted entry

    Friday, April 13, 2018 6:57 AM
  • There's something else going here as name is not a significant attribute in any way and will not prevent a client from communicating with the site. Perhaps you were looking at a resource that doesn't correspond to the system at all. Just because a resource has the same name doesn't mean it's for the system with the same name.

    Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

    Friday, April 13, 2018 3:30 PM