partition disk failed RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

I have a great problem with MDT 2010 and partition disk. If I shutdown (take off without shutdown) a PC I can't deploy a new windows 7 with MDT tasksequence und WDS (F12)

error:
    the task sequence has been suspended.
    Litetouch has encountered an Environment Error (boot into WinPE!).
    if booting from a USB Flash disk, please remove all drives befor retrying.......

I have test this problem with VMWare (take off) and HP Evo 8000 hardware. same problem.

I use the standard client tasksequence without changes. disk number=0, disk type=standard (MBR) OSDisk primary 100% of remaining space on disk

the only workaround on a vmware is to delete the disk and create an new disk
    the workaround on a hardware is to partition the disk with usb-bootstick and format it to fat32

then tasksequence can format it.

client: windows 7 enterprise
    MDT 2010

Monday, June 28, 2010 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Tron

You can add a tasksequence to call diskpart /s yourfile.txt - This file would then contain the diskpart commands to delete the volumes. Just add a run command line task to your task sequence.

Or you could add the line diskpart /s yourfile.txt to the startnet.cmd file contained within your winpe image. The diskpart command will then run when first starting winpe.

Be careful with that method as it would delete every volume everytime you boot into pe. I would create a second pe image to perform that specific deployment.

Thanks

Paul

• Marked as answer by -- Chris -- Friday, July 9, 2010 9:14 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:58 AM
  • hi paul

if have a question. I store the scriptfile.txt under %SCRIPTROOT% that works fine.

but where should I store the script.txt (yourfile.txt) when I use the file without scriptroot path. I think we must edit the lighttouch boot.wim with imagex and store it in windows folder

chris

Friday, July 2, 2010 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Tron

You need to delete the minint folder on the c drive when the deployment fails. Push F8 to bring up a command prompt. Or you could run diskpart after pressing F8 and delete the volume.  Then restart the machine, push F12 and restart your build.

Thanks

Paul

Monday, June 28, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Hello paul,

is it posible to create a task sequence that delete the volume before partition and format task is running?

if I boot from dvd I can delete the volume without problems, but our company hardware has no dvd drives.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:47 AM
  • Hi Tron

You can add a tasksequence to call diskpart /s yourfile.txt - This file would then contain the diskpart commands to delete the volumes. Just add a run command line task to your task sequence.

Or you could add the line diskpart /s yourfile.txt to the startnet.cmd file contained within your winpe image. The diskpart command will then run when first starting winpe.

Be careful with that method as it would delete every volume everytime you boot into pe. I would create a second pe image to perform that specific deployment.

Thanks

Paul

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:58 AM
  • hi paul

if have a question. I store the scriptfile.txt under %SCRIPTROOT% that works fine.

but where should I store the script.txt (yourfile.txt) when I use the file without scriptroot path. I think we must edit the lighttouch boot.wim with imagex and store it in windows folder

chris

Friday, July 2, 2010 8:20 AM