none
Project Professional 2013 Compatibility with Earlier Versions of Office RRS feed

• Question

• Previous versions of Project Professional have had issues running in parallel with earlier versions of office (my issue last year with v2010: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/1a29345c-cd39-409a-960b-30f16250aff9). 

I am under the impression that Office 2013 can be designed to install using Click-to-Run which should result in application sandboxing and eliminate compatibility issues when running Project Professional 2013 alongside prior versions of office (“side-by-side usage with previous versions of Office”).

Does anyone have experience with this or is there available documentation confirming or denying my interpretation of this feature?

Thanks.
    Jason

Monday, September 24, 2012 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hello Jason,

In Project 2013 Preview, backward compatibility mode is not supported. This means that you cannot connect Project 2010 to Project Server 2013 Preview.

Additional Information

===============

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954%28v=office.15%29.aspx

Regards,

Shiva Prasad B C

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Thank you, but what I'm trying to determine is if Project Professional 2013 can be installed alongside Office 2007 on the desktop without compatibility issues.

There have been known issues with multiple versions of office installed in parallel.  I personally encountered an issue with Project Professional 2010 installed alongside Access 2007.  I'm wondering if Click-to-Run has addressed those limitations.

Thanks.
    Jason 

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Since this is a Microsoft site and TOP HIT ON GOOGLE... it would be nice if someone answered this.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 7:17 PM
  • Hi Wizchip,

Several people who answer questions on this newsgroup run versions of project including: 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 on the same equipment without trouble.

File compatibility is another issue as is the ability to run Beta versions (pre-release) alongside RTM, as is the ability to connect to Project Server.  Which specifically is your concern?

Julie

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Wizchip,

Although this forum is sponsored by Microsoft as one of their MSDN sites, it is NOT generally monitored by Microsoft personnel. Those of us who provide assistance are volunteers who have no affiliation with Microsoft. Our collective knowledge comes from years of experience with Project, either as consultants, users, or teachers.

With respect to compatibility issues between new and old versions, complexity of the application itself coupled with the myriad of user configurations, make it very difficult to identify potential issues. As the most significant issues are uncovered, service packs and hotfixes are released to address them.

Hope this provides a little explanation of why we may not have a ready answer.

John

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:52 PM