none
BMR - Error Code 0x80780048 - Not Enough Free Space RRS feed

• Question

• Using DPM 2016 UR2, I'm trying to setup Bare Metal Recovery backups for a Windows 2016 server. The backup is failing inside of Windows Backup of the protected server. I'm getting this error:

-----

Event ID: 19
    The backup operation attempted at '‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎25T14:02:05.997180400Z' has failed to start, error code '0x80780048' ('There is not enough free space on the backup storage location to back up the data.'). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

-----

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as both the protected server and the DPM server should have adequate free space available.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

BMR disk requirements can vary widely  – easiest way to get the replica properly sized is to run a manual BMR backup to a location that has plenty of free space, then see how much the WindowsImagebackup folder is when you are done.  Add another 10 or 15% for future growth.

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine that has lots of free space: \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

3) When complete, check the size of the files under the WindowsImageBackup under that share.
    4) Resize the replica accordingly.

BLOG-How to increase DPM 2016 replica when using Modern Backup Storage (MBS)

5) Run a CC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:51 PM

All replies

• Is the BMR backup doing a full backup of all disks and data on the protected server? If that's the case, then I do not have enough storage on the DPM server. Somehow I was thinking it was only backing up the system/boot volume. In which case I definitely do have more than enough free space on the DPM server.
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

BMR disk requirements can vary widely  – easiest way to get the replica properly sized is to run a manual BMR backup to a location that has plenty of free space, then see how much the WindowsImagebackup folder is when you are done.  Add another 10 or 15% for future growth.

1) Set up a network share on a remote machine that has lots of free space: \\server\bmrshare

2) From an administrative command prompt on the PS, type:

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare

This should show you the list of volumes included in the BMR backup and ask "Do you want to start the backup operation?. - Type Y to continue..

3) When complete, check the size of the files under the WindowsImageBackup under that share.
    4) Resize the replica accordingly.

BLOG-How to increase DPM 2016 replica when using Modern Backup Storage (MBS)

5) Run a CC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:51 PM