none
Decommissioning Exchange 2007 servers participating in SCR RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I’m having difficulties finding documentation on how to decommission Exchange 2007 servers participating in SCR (Standby Continuous Replication)

Here are the details:

• We have two datacenters: Main datacenter and Disaster Recovery (DR) datacenter
    • Main Datacenter: Exch 2007 CCR
    • DR Datacenter: Exchange 2007 SCR
    • We are in the process of upgrading Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010
    • We are planning for period of co-existence between Exch 2007 SP3 to Exch 2010 SP2 while we transition services and mailboxes from Exch 2007 SP3 to Exch 2010 SP2
    • At this point we have already introduced the Exchange 2010 Servers (2 mailbox servers and 2 Hub/CAS servers) to our existing 2007 Organization
    • We have not yet transfer services to Exchange 2010 nor move any mailboxes just yet

Questions:

At this point we would like to decommission the Exchange 2007 Servers in our DR site (1 Mailbox Server acting as the SCR Target and 1 HUB/CAS Server) so we can use these same servers to install Exchange 2010 (1 Mailbox Server that will be eventually added to a new DAG we will create and 1 HUB/CAS Server)

1. What are the required steps to appropriately decommission ONLY the Exchange 2007 Servers in our DR Site? I can find Microsoft documentation on how to uninstall Exchange 2007 servers but I have not been able to find anything specific to my scenario where I want to remove only the SCR Target computer and leaving the SCR Source running at our Main datacenter co-existing with Exchange 2010 while we transfer services to Exchange 2010 and move mailboxes

I was thinking to do the following:

• Disable SCR
    • Delete all SCR files (DBs and Logs) on the Target SCR server
    • Removing Public Folder Replicas
    • Uninstall Exchange 2007 using Add/Remove Programs

Is this correct?

2. What are the implications of decommissioning Exchange 2007 server ONLY on the DR site considering that I want to keep the other Exchange 2007 server at the main data center running for a period of co-existence? Would decommissioning Exchange 2007 server ONLY on the DR site affect somehow the other Exchange 2007 servers (Exchange 2007 Source and HT/CAS servers) at the mail datacenter?

Thanks in advance!

FT

Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:19 PM

Answers

• I was thinking to do the following:

• Disable SCR

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

FT

Yes, that exactly is the way to do it.

An SCR Target is usually just a Mailbox Server not doing anything else but keeping database copies, so there is really no implications to remove it.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by FT2000 Friday, November 2, 2012 6:17 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 5:16 AM

All replies

• I was thinking to do the following:

• Disable SCR

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

FT

Yes, that exactly is the way to do it.

An SCR Target is usually just a Mailbox Server not doing anything else but keeping database copies, so there is really no implications to remove it.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by FT2000 Friday, November 2, 2012 6:17 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 5:16 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback Martina!

I really appreciate it

I went ahead with the decommissioning this evening and everything went well. I had some issues uninstalling the Mailbox Server Role because of the Public Folder I had replicated to my DR site. I ended up using ADSI Edit to manually remove the PF and after I was able to uninstall Exch

The process did not affect my servers at the main datacenter

Thanks again!

FT

FT

Friday, November 2, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Hi FT,

Thank you for the quick update.

Thanks,

Simon

Friday, November 2, 2012 7:22 AM