How to start Page 1 on Page 3 & start Headers & Footers on Page 3 using Word 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• We have googled this for over an hour and played with it in Word for two hours... no joy :-(

Maybe some kind soul here will help us and not just direct us to another web page for which we have probably already read... and obviously mis-understood :)

This is a 5.5 x 8.5 inch booklet.

The entire booket will be printed front & back on standard 8.5 x 11 paper, folded & saddle stitched (stapled)

Page 1 = cover = no Page Number & No Header & Footer

Page 2 = inside front cover = no Page Number & No Header & Footer

Page 3 = 1st right hand page - Header = Booklet Title - Footer = Page number 1

Subsiquent pages (except back cover & inside back cover) will continue with the same Header & Footers with continuing page Numbers

We have tried clicking Insert Next Page Section Breaks at the end of the inside front cover

Then on the first right hand page creating the Headers & Footers... but they still show up on the cover & inside front cover

We have tried clicking file > page setup > Different First Page... but then Headers & Footers start on the inside Front Cover

We have tried endless other methods... and none work.

(If we ever do get the Front Cover and Inside Front Cover setup properly... I shutter to think about the Back Cover & Inside Back Cover.)

We are looking for Click by Click instructions since things have gotton so utterly confusing.

Thanks to anyone who helps with a solution that works.

Friday, August 12, 2011 10:41 PM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, you can separate booklet to 3 sections. The key to the question is to turn off the Link to Previous.

You can following these steps :

1. At the beginning of the 1<sup>st</sup> right hand page (Page 3), Click Insert>Break, Select Next page under Section break types. Click OK.
    2. At the beginning of the inside back cover, Click Insert>Break, Select Next page under Section break types. Click OK.
    3. Click View>Header and Footer.
    4. Click the first page of Header -Section 2-
    5. Click the Link to Previous button on the Header and Footer toolbar to turn it off.
    6. Click the Switch Between Header and Footer button on the toolbar.
    7. Click the Link to Previous button to turn it off again.
    8. Click Format Page Number on the tool bar, Change the Numbering setting from “Continue from previous section” to “Start at 1”, and click OK.
    9. Click the Insert Page Number button to insert the page number.
    10. Edit the Booklet Title of Section 2.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Mel_3,

See: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NumberingFrontMatter.htm

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Monday, August 15, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, you can separate booklet to 3 sections. The key to the question is to turn off the Link to Previous.

You can following these steps :

1. At the beginning of the 1<sup>st</sup> right hand page (Page 3), Click Insert>Break, Select Next page under Section break types. Click OK.
    2. At the beginning of the inside back cover, Click Insert>Break, Select Next page under Section break types. Click OK.
    3. Click View>Header and Footer.
    4. Click the first page of Header -Section 2-
    5. Click the Link to Previous button on the Header and Footer toolbar to turn it off.
    6. Click the Switch Between Header and Footer button on the toolbar.
    7. Click the Link to Previous button to turn it off again.
    8. Click Format Page Number on the tool bar, Change the Numbering setting from “Continue from previous section” to “Start at 1”, and click OK.
    9. Click the Insert Page Number button to insert the page number.
    10. Edit the Booklet Title of Section 2.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:21 AM