none
Resource management, pt 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, I've gotten all of my projects input on MS Project Server 2007.  The next step management is interested in is taking this data to understand resource utilization/availability to help with resource planning (need to hire new resources or not).  This is totally beyond my technical scope.  I'm hoping someone here can help steer me on the right path.  The organization as a whole has a 65% utilization target for billable hours.  How do I reflect this in Project Server?  Do I update the UNITS field? On the resource center menu, there is "View Assignment" and "View Availability" links.  When I click on the first, it shows all of the assignment details for the selected resources.  When I click on "View Availability", it show a graph with all of the resources and there is a line at top for Capacity.  How is this calculated?  Are there better reports from project? Any available Excel templates that massage this data into something useful?  These are just a few of the questions I have but any help you can provide overall to help me meet the objective would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, July 30, 2012 2:36 PM

All replies

• Shaunda,

Take a look at Max Units for the 65% utilization target. This might meet your need.

As for the Resource Capacity, you will need to add a custom measure to the OLAP database. See this article for details. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa974469(v=office.12).aspx  See my note below for the updated MDX statement for Project Server 2010. The same basic math is used for the Resource Availability page.

Once that is done, use the Excel template that is created in the Business Intelligence center, Templates, English, folder for OLAP database for the OLAPPortfolioAnalyzer to create your report.

Typically, the base report is Resource on the X axis, Time on the Y axis and availability in the summation. Negative availability means you are overallocated. You can expand data from there.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Sorry, didn't see the 2007 until after I had posted. You can also use the Data Analysis function to build the same report, once you've got your OLAP database updated. So, I guess you can ignore my updated formula on the bottom of the article. :-)

Treb Gatte

Monday, July 30, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Hi Treb, regarding utilization, if I set the units at 65%, will this altar all of my existing plans?  How does it affect assignments, where for instance, there is an 8hr meeting.  Will it allow that resource to be scheduled at 100% for that day or will it try to schedule the meeting across multiple days?

When I try to go to Data Analysis function, the following message shows up:  "There are no Data Analysis views available. Contact your administrator to have views defined."  I  contacted the server admin and he says he's put in a request to add Analysis Services to the SQL server.  So I guess I won't be able to use this functionality until that's done. 

I have an add-on question..not sure if it can go here or if I need to post it under MS Project forum.. but currently actuals are tracked in a separate timesheet db. My mgmt would like to use the functionality of MS Project without having to require resources to track hours in mulitple places.  Do you know if there is a way to take a dump of the timesheet db in excel format and upload the actuals into an existing project plan?

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Hi Shaunda,

#1 - No, I don't believe it impacts this directly since you typically have to edit the units in the project plan. It will show that this person is now overallocated. Here's a post on how to edit the units. http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=f884b43f-61db-4c4e-94a3-38f21a8efdad&ID=184&Web=28a89920-6690-45b4-9132-339c2f40a7e7 

Brian and Prasanna have some good related blog posts that might be worthy of a read on the topic of Max Units.

• http://www.projectified.com/projectified/2008/06/deployment-prac.html
    • http://www.epmarchitects.com/specifying-varying-resource-capacity-across-time-project-server-2010

#2 - Yes, you are correct. I'm always fascinated when Project Server is set up without the reporting tools. :-)

#3 - I don't know of an easy way to do this but it's worth a separate post of this question.

Treb Gatte

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:11 AM