Configuring Blocked Sender lists RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to research the best way -from other's experiences, to configure and maintain on an ongoing basis, a specific blocked sender list.

1- I have found this is easy enough to do on our E2k3 Bridgehead Server through the ESM and a few steps. But maintaining it on an ongoing basis will require us to update the list directly in the ESM as changes are needed. I have read that there is NOT a scriptable way to do this. *I also wondered if there was any other better way to do this though a group (of external contacts for instance) in AD? Upgrading our BH to E2K7 is not an option for us at this point because we have a multitude of workflow rules on it that are currently not compatible with E2K7.

2- I see that the same block sender functionality is available in E2K7 -which is our MB server. In addition to the same E2K3 block sender functionality this list can be maintained and updated through a PS script. This is a plus but I do not necessarily want to add additional overhead and resource utilization to our MB server (that is 2 steps removed from the outside). Again -I wonder if this could also be maintained or updated through the use of a group in AD (containing a list of external contacts for instance).

3- Lastly which may be our best option -but I understand this may not be the right place to ask or bring it up; we have a Symantec Bright Mail appliance as our outermost facing mail device. I do not have a lot of experience on this appliance -yet, and was hoping maybe some other 'Deities' ;) here could enlighten me to some of the more advanced features of the appliance if they have had experience with it. It has AD (LDAP) integration so I'm thinking my idea to maintain a group of external Identities in AD that we want blocked might be an option here.

I'm looking for advice, suggestions, recommendations, and best practices that have worked 'well' for others out there.

Thank you -in advance, for taking the time to read this and thank you for any assistance or knowledge you are will to impart on me.

Friday, October 7, 2011 5:11 PM

Answers

• thank you for all of the suggestions and input on this. 
    • Marked as answer by Tom Grabowski Monday, October 10, 2011 4:45 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

With Exchange 2007, we have anti-spam agent, there we have sended filter.We recommend to enable anti-spam agent on Edge Server role.

Also if you do have 3rd application which has anti-spam function, then I think you can try to put that in front of your Exchange organization. That could be a better option.

Xiu

Monday, October 10, 2011 8:28 AM
  • thank you for all of the suggestions and input on this. 
    • Marked as answer by Tom Grabowski Monday, October 10, 2011 4:45 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:45 PM