none
DPM 2012 and Remote SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Since the Beta Form is Locked and I have yet to get a reponse I'll open it Here (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager2012beta/thread/c389cf8b-cd60-4404-a756-af82cb790742)

Newly Deployed WIN2k8 R2 STD Server (fully patched)

New SQL 2008 R2 SP1 Instance (fully patched) tcp/ip and named pipes are enabled

We will be running a suite of SC 2012 products as we move in to our SA, we are looking at DPM to replace Acronis for our expanding Hyper-V enviroment, so while it's not critical it is very important to get this working. we'll only be a SQL 2008 R2 shop so DPM 2010 isn't an option

We've sucessfully deployed RC on a Local Instance. All the Prereq's and setup steps are completed, install infact looks to go smoothly except when it reaches the very end of the process when setup throws this exception:

Exception :  => System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BE): The remote procedure call failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BE)at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CProxyUtils.HandleErrors(Int32 hr, tagSAFEARRAY* exceptionResult)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.SchedulerServicesProxy.Register(String scheduleXml)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Configuration.DBConfigurator.RegisterScheduleXml(String scheduleXml)

I Bold the ScheduleXml because we believe it's the single reason setup fails, in fact all the db's are created and you can see conntectivity activity between the running services and the db's in the data tools - for it to incomplete an all almost running service tells me that 1 little step is messing, we scoured the net, change install users, adjusted premissions, pretty much exhausted the techincal collective intell of our IT dept. Again it's not critical we just want to be prepared for RTM

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Geoff,

Could you please check the event viewer error if there are errors logged with source as MSDPM at the time of failure. Seems DPM service is not coming up due to which registering schedules is failing. Please e-mail DPM installation logs and DPM logs to vborra [at] microsoft [dot] com

-- Thanks Venkata Praveen[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 9, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Wow wish hotmail didn't junk my alerts :)

I'll run a freash setup and send you the logs it'll come from my work email

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:50 PM