How can I see individual driver folders in Out-Of-Box drivers? RRS feed

• Question

• I created separate driver folders based on WMI queries and imported drivers into each.
    My folder is structured according to what's recommended for MDT: (ex)
    Out-Of-Box Drivers
        Windows 7
              x64
                  Name of WMI response

What I'm wondering is how to see that structure within Windows. If I go to my storage location,
    E:\MDTDeploy\Out-Of-Box Drivers, I see folders such as Battery, Bluetooth, Display Modem, etc.
    I'm trying to see just what is in one folder, such as the drivers for my OptiPlex 9020 only, exactly what I see in Deployment Toolkit. Any idea?

Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:59 PM

Answers

• Simple answer: you can't. The folders you see in the deployment workbench are just a visual representation of the data paths stored in XML files, which in turn link to actual driver locations in your deployment share.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:17 PM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:02 PM
  • You could open your backup deployment share and simply copy & paste drivers. I would - instead - go down a different route - export drivers from MDT using PowerShell: https://msitpros.com/?p=1566

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:19 PM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:23 PM

All replies

• Simple answer: you can't. The folders you see in the deployment workbench are just a visual representation of the data paths stored in XML files, which in turn link to actual driver locations in your deployment share.

Cheers,
    Anton

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:17 PM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Yikes. Okay. I had drivers injected but now several are missing on the target after deploy (new hardware I'm guessing). I added additional drivers to the folder but oddly now one previously working shows yellowed out. So I wanted to go back to what I initially had in that folder. (I also have a spare server as a backup but can't figure out how to copy drivers 'just' for that model.
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:08 PM
  • You could open your backup deployment share and simply copy & paste drivers. I would - instead - go down a different route - export drivers from MDT using PowerShell: https://msitpros.com/?p=1566

Cheers,
    Anton

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:19 PM
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:23 PM
  • Thanks. I'll check out the link. I'm not sure how to copy/paste the drivers from MDT. I can go to the OOBD folder, highlight all drivers and copy but not able to paste...so I'm not sure where they let you paste them to.

I image servers often, we have about 200 and are replacing them. Since Dell does not make CAB files for servers, I run a PS to get all the drivers on the system and it's been working well so far. (I then import drivers from the folder created by the PS). I would like that folder back to its original state.

Sunday, October 22, 2017 6:59 PM
  • I can go to the OOBD folder, highlight all drivers and copy but not able to paste...so I'm not sure where they let you paste them to. 

It is fairly straight forward. Open both deployment shares in the same deployment workbench. Now, go into your backup deployment share select and copy drivers you wish to move to the "old" deployment share. Now open your main deployment share, go into your driver repository, specific model folder and paste drivers. This process will take a while and, assuming you do not run into any duplicate guids, will go on without a hitch.

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, October 23, 2017 1:55 PM
  • That I get, thanks. My issue is that I changed the driver folder on my live server. The test server, a separate server, has the original set in it. I was trying to copy just those drivers for that one model over to the live server. It's only one driver missing now, so I may install it as a silent install app.
    Thanks!
    Monday, October 23, 2017 3:13 PM
  • That link took some playing with, the PS that is. Deleted the line #'s and wow, it worked like a charm. It pulled out just the sub-folders only for that model, which is exactly what I was hoping for, just to revert back to a previous state. Kudos.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:20 PM