Archiving RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2 server DAG with Exchange 2013. this has 2 databases in the DAG. I want to setup archiving. From what I'm reading, i setup another database for archiving on another volume. Would this be part of the DAG? if I setup the archive database on one server, do I need to setup on both servers?

Thanks. 

Pat

Sunday, February 1, 2015 8:48 PM

Answers

• I have a 2 server DAG with Exchange 2013. this has 2 databases in the DAG. I want to setup archiving. From what I'm reading, i setup another database for archiving on another volume. Would this be part of the DAG? if I setup the archive database on one server, do I need to setup on both servers?

Thanks. 

Pat

You can create the archive database anywhere you want on any Exchange Server. If you add it a server in the DAG, you don't have to replicate it, but Exchange will complain that it has only one copy in the DAG.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Belinda Ma Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Belinda Ma Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:05 AM
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:42 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it's a mailbox database which holds archive mailboxes. You can have an archive mailbox database and then create archive mailbox in it.

Best regards,

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:23 AM
  • I'm going to Backup this database, but having it in a DAG gives me redundancy and  also lets me failover to one server while performing maintenance on the other.  
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:37 PM

All replies

Thanks. 

Pat

You can create the archive database anywhere you want on any Exchange Server. If you add it a server in the DAG, you don't have to replicate it, but Exchange will complain that it has only one copy in the DAG.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Edited by Andy DavidMVP Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:43 PM
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 9:42 PM
  • Hi Pat,

Archiving database is a regular database and you don't have to make it part of the DAG.

Cheers,

Exchange Blog:

www.ntweekly.com

MCSA, MCSE, MCITP:SA, MCITP:EA, MCITP:Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010,MCTS:Virtualization

Sunday, February 1, 2015 10:23 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy. A server in a DAG can hold databases that have copies and databases that have no copies.

There is no need to add database copy for archive mailbox database. The warning that complains it has only one copy will show up in the event log but can be safely ignored.

Best regards,

Belinda Ma

Monday, February 2, 2015 10:54 AM
  • So Exchange treats the Archive database the same as any other database? Is it, I'm just setting up Archiving and pointing the archived emails to the archive database? maybe I'm overt thinking this...

Thanks

Pat

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:34 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it's a mailbox database which holds archive mailboxes. You can have an archive mailbox database and then create archive mailbox in it.

Best regards,

Belinda Ma

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:23 AM
  • I'm going to Backup this database, but having it in a DAG gives me redundancy and  also lets me failover to one server while performing maintenance on the other.  
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:37 PM