none
Smartscreen prompt does not show for ClickOnce app since Windows 10 Update 1803

Question

• Hi,

I am a developer for a company internal app. The app is published to a UNC location and people can install it and it will update automatically. Only the first time after update or install, a SmartScreen window will popup up asking permission to run. That's fine.

However since 1803, the SmartScreen window no longer pops up after upgrade or install, hence app is not launched either. It just went silence after install, update or double clicking the desktop icon.

If I go to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps\blah\blah and find the *.exe then launch it myself, the SmartScreen pops up normally and I can give the run instruction. Once I've done that, the desktop icon can also launch the app by double-click without any issue.

But locating the app is not a skill every user has and it's quite a lot of trouble. What is the right way to go if I don't want to purchase a CodeSigning Cert for an internal app distributed in internal LAN? And is there a way to go back to the Version 1709 behaviour (that is SmartScreen popping up once automatically after install)?

Thank you.

TL;DR Summary UPDATE 2018-06-13

The problem is solved after updating to the latest patch you can find via Check for Updates. I have not identified the update that solves the problem.

• Edited by LionetChen Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:05 AM
    Tuesday, May 08, 2018 8:12 AM

All replies

• i am experiencing this issue as well with 2 different clickonce applications
    Tuesday, May 08, 2018 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing same problem too since update 1803. In all my clickonce applications in different machines.

Regards

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 7:22 PM
  • I have the same problem. I found that by going to App & Browser Control and turning Smartscreen from Warn to off, it then works. Not a solution, but it might help.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 12:56 AM
  • Hi,

I can reproduce this situation on my Windows 10 1803 lab machine. And then I have submit this feedback via our own channel.

If any update, I will post here.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:27 AM
  • I have the same problem. I found that by going to App & Browser Control and turning Smartscreen from Warn to off, it then works. Not a solution, but it might help.
    It could help but turning it off altogether might pose security risk. Although no better way for the time being.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 4:36 AM
  • Yes. I understand that.

If any update, I will post here as soon as possible.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 11, 2018 8:19 AM
  • Add me/us to the list, This, along with many other parts of the 1803 update is just horrible. It's scarry (to say the least) that Microsoft is able to make Windows 10 worse for every realease. Just one other example is Adding software during the update that have already been removed WTF!

Now, how long will we have non working windows installations before this _CRITICAL_ issue is fixed?

Monday, May 14, 2018 5:00 PM
  • I found a solution. If you add your web site (where you published to your click once app) to the safe sites, smartscreen is popping up and works correctly.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:13 AM
  • Hi Mosvath,

Thanks for you idea. If I'm publishing to a UNC location (\\192.168.1.1\FileShare\xxx) what should I put in as the site? Just the IP address? I'm lucky to be in a domain environment where such settings are able to be deployed (I think). 

Gonna try this in my next release.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 9:25 AM
  • Adding a website to safe sites is not doable on thousands of machines which is not in an AD environment.

So this can in no way be seen as a solution, but rather an unacceptable hack.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Adding a website to safe sites is not doable on thousands of machines which is not in an AD environment.

So this can in no way be seen as a solution, but rather an unacceptable hack.

Unacceptable and hack? From which planet did you come? We try to find a solution. Be creative and try to bring us a better working solution
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Hi all,

I have already submit it. Our product team need more time to do test.

Please understand and give us more patience.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:09 AM
  • Hi all,

Thank you Karen
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Hi all,

Thank you Karen
    Thank's Karen,

a lot of developers and a big lot of users are waiting for you.

marc.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:20 AM
  • Spent several hours this morning investigating issue on two PC's where our companies clickonce application refused to run. Sure enough both are affected by this exact issue.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

I am a developer for a company internal app. The app is published to a UNC location and people can install it and it will update automatically. Only the first time after update or install, a SmartScreen window will popup up asking permission to run. That's fine.

However since 1803, the SmartScreen window no longer pops up after upgrade or install, hence app is not launched either. It just went silence after install, update or double clicking the desktop icon.

If I go to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps\blah\blah and find the *.exe then launch it myself, the SmartScreen pops up normally and I can give the run instruction. Once I've done that, the desktop icon can also launch the app by double-click without any issue.

But locating the app is not a skill every user has and it's quite a lot of trouble. What is the right way to go if I don't want to purchase a CodeSigning Cert for an internal app distributed in internal LAN? And is there a way to go back to the Version 1709 behaviour (that is SmartScreen popping up once automatically after install)?

Thank you.

Finally! Someone who is going through the same thing I am. The step of launching from the user profile appdata folder is very useful! Yes it's not easy for just anyone and not a 'fix', but it does work! Been trying to figure this out since last Friday! I found if I'm NOT connected to the LAN, it starts but then the database connection is not there and my program has heavy database usage! It will also launch from VS (I'm using VS2015) just fine.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:35 PM
  • This didn't work for me. Even after restarting the computer.

Also tried creating certificates for the ClickOnce app and installing them in the client PCs, but it did not work either.

I instructed clients to disable the Windows Defender SmartScreen. That "works".

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:56 AM
  • We have reproduced this issue on 3 computers (before windows "big update" everyting works fine, after update of system to 1803 and restarting -> there is no "prompt" when running application *.exe - and application doesn't start).

Disabling Windows Defender SmartScreen is not a solution at all... 

Best regards,

Adam Ciszewski

Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi all,

According to our product team collection information and test, we can now confirm this is an known issue. And We are working on fixing it.

Thank you all for your continued patience. Any update on fix, I will post here as soon as possible.

Friday, May 18, 2018 2:20 AM
  • I have the same problem 
    Friday, May 18, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Same problem here: please resolve this.

Thanks

Stefano Padovan

Friday, May 18, 2018 11:06 AM
  • Same here. Customers are not happy. Please fix asap. Thanks!
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:42 PM
  • I work for a county government in Colorado and we have a ClickOnce app used by hundreds of foster parents, adoptive parents, and Child Placement Agencies and this issue is affecting anyone who has Windows 10 and upgraded to version 1803. Microsoft, don't be changing SmartScreen settings in such a way that makes existing applications unusable (for the average user). That was a terrible idea and this needs to be fixed ASAP!!

Grant

Friday, May 18, 2018 3:33 PM
  • FOUND A FIX!!

Okay. After spending an hour on the phone with Microsoft, I have a solution. It's a crazy fix and worked for me. 

If you don't want to purchase a certificate and your program is used only in-house, this will work. If I remember all the steps correctly, in the Project Properties, Signing Tab. Create Test Certificate. Give it a name. Then click More Details. Install Certificate. Local Machine. Login as admin. Select, Place all certificates in the following store. Click Browse and select Trusted Root Certification Authorities. Finish. Select where to save it. Back at the Signing tab, select Select from Store and pick the newest certificate. The expiration date should be one year from the time you created it.

Now you'll have to go to each computer, open CMD-Run as Admin and type 'certutil -addstore root "<file location>"'. This should install the certificate onto the computer. 

At this point, I no longer got the Untrusted file warning and installed but still didn't run. So they had me do this next step.

Start Internet Explorer (NOT Edge). Click the gear in the upper right, Internet Options, Security Tab, Local Intranet, Sites button, Advanced. Add the directory where your setup.exe file resides. OK your way out and close. If you can access it via \\directory\program\setup.exe or \\directory.company.com\program\setup.exe, use the latter. This also has to be done on each computer you install the certificate on. You must go all the way to the directory the setup.exe file is in.

Open a new windows explorer. Go to the setup.exe file directory and double click.

You shouldn't get the SmartScreen any more and it should start running!

So the certificate just signs it so users don't get the "Are you sure you want to install this unsafe program" question. The IE settings says it's a safe install location and whatever happened in the Windows 1803 install, is corrected with this step.

Friday, May 18, 2018 9:36 PM
  • Same issue here after windows update non user can run the app !!
    Friday, May 18, 2018 10:42 PM
  • As a temporary solution you can go to the apps installation folder and run the exe file there, then shortcuts start to work as well.
    Sunday, May 20, 2018 7:29 PM
  • Is there an easy way for an end-user to go to this directory?
    Sunday, May 20, 2018 8:21 PM
  • Hi Karen,

Thanks for the info.

Do you maybe have any new updated info for this issues.

Our company still uses ClickOnce on some of the larger projects and now it's not working anymore at the destinations sites because of the application not running after the SmartScreen check. 

Any new info would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jacques

Image already added
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:56 AM
  • I've tried to add the website to the trusted zone but it doesn't work
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:31 AM
  • Any update so far? When this gonna be fixed?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Any update?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Today VS 15.7.2 released.

Tested new deploy, nothing change...

marc.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:06 AM
  • We have the same problem
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:43 PM
  • Same here, please give us some feedback !!!

Patrick

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:58 PM
  • Same problem here ... :(
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:36 PM
  • I have a valid certificated issued by Comodo for our company but have the same issue with my app. Before installing the app, smart screen says that my app is unrecognized, then after clicking More Info, I can proceed by clicking Run anyway. And after installing, nothing happens.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Just to add I have the same issue i.e. smart screen prompt not appearing when installing/updating the app, we have a valid code signing cert issued by Symantec. We are a small development company. Our web site we use to publish the app to is https and has a valid certificate.

The only way I could get this to work on customers' computers was to:

1. browse to appdata/local/apps/2.0 and then find your app folder with the exe and manifest files in
    2. Click on the exe, you should then get the smartscreen prompt - click on More Info and run anyway
    3. Close the app
    4. Open the app from the normal desktop icon

This is a work around and NOT a fix.

If you publish a new version then you have to repeat the process.

Luckily, or unluckily we do not have too many customers using our app, so I have been able to remote to their PCs and fix the issue.

I'm still waiting to try adding your web site (where you published to your click once app) to the safe sites, smartscreen is popping up and works correctly, as posted by Mosvath .

I'll keep you updated.

It does raise the question that if you have spent money out on a code signing cert why is that fact not recognised by smart screen? I have read on other posts it depends on the number of downloads your app has had, but I'm not convinced.

Steve P

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Just to add I have the same issue i.e. smart screen prompt not appearing when installing/updating the app, we have a valid code signing cert issued by Symantec. We are a small development company. Our web site we use to publish the app to is https and has a valid certificate.

1. browse to appdata/local/apps/2.0 and then find your app folder with the exe and manifest files in
    2. Click on the exe, you should then get the smartscreen prompt - click on More Info and run anyway
    3. Close the app

Luckily, or unluckily we do not have too many customers using our app, so I have been able to remote to their PCs and fix the issue.

I'm still waiting to try adding your web site (where you published to your click once app) to the safe sites, smartscreen is popping up and works correctly, as posted by Mosvath .

I'll keep you updated.

It does raise the question that if you have spent money out on a code signing cert why is that fact not recognised by smart screen? I have read on other posts it depends on the number of downloads your app has had, but I'm not convinced.

Steve P

Can confirm that this works, as I reached this same conclusion yesterday. Although, this is a workaround, so I'm still looking for a permanent solution. I am considering purchasing a certificate through Comodo or Digicert to see if that does fix the problem, but according to user Dmitry Kozlov (jusper), this did not fix the problem. I suppose for now I will run the workaround until Microsoft fixes the real issue.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:35 PM

3. Close the app

I'll keep you updated.

Steve P

Can confirm that this works, as I reached this same conclusion yesterday. Although, this is a workaround, so I'm still looking for a permanent solution. I am considering purchasing a certificate through Comodo or Digicert to see if that does fix the problem, but according to user Dmitry Kozlov (jusper), this did not fix the problem. I suppose for now I will run the workaround until Microsoft fixes the real issue.

Hi Jared,

We have the issue and have purchased a certificate which is used in the Sign the ClickOnce Manifest. We've also taken the option to assign the assembly and it made no difference.

Good luck. 

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:52 PM
  • Same problem here !!!, hundreds of my clients are now offline !!!

G.Waters

Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Another workaround until Microsoft fixes the issue is to turn Smart Screen off, this can be achieved via the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

SmartScreenEnabled String Value

Block = Blocks an unrecognized app from running
    Warn = Warn before running an unrecognized app
    Off = Don't do anything

Or:

1. Open the Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on the App & browser control icon.
    2. Under Check apps and files, select Block, Warn (default), or Off for what you want to set.
    3. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC.

Update

Adding your web site (where you published to your click once app) to the safe sites, smartscreen is popping up and works correctly, as posted by Mosvath did not work in my case.

Steve P

Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Test on today release of windows update KB4100403.
    Nothing change...

marc.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:13 AM
  • 1) Is someone tried with an EV certificate? On Microsoft website, it state it will be instant recognition but the process to acquire one may take a week.

2) Is this issue is only for ClickOnce? Does it works for people that are using Squirrel or other distribution software?

We got our OV certificate yesterday and publish a test version. Nothing changed. Currently, our customer service is flooded. They do the workaround to execute by hand so the smart screen is displayed.

If we release a new version, they will have to execute again manually for all customer. They are already busy with customer that are upgrading to Windows 1803.

In conclusion, this issue decrease our quality of service by reducing our support staff availability and hold developers to release feature and bug fix. It is irritating.

If someone find a fix in the next following days or find out that Microsoft released a patch, please post it.

Thank you guys for previous reported tentative, workaround and feedback! Very appreciated!

• Edited by sderrico Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:22 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:55 PM
  • Easiest way we have found so far to start all clickonce applications is to open cmd and run:
    for /r "%appdata%\..\Local\Apps\2.0" %D IN ("*YourProgram.exe") DO "%~fD"
    Note that it needs to be *yourprogram.exe with the star at the beginning
    (combine this with a delay using ping and a taskkill and you have a fix that anyone will be able to run without much issues)

Again this is not a fix, nothing so far is an actual fix just workarounds.

(this is indeed unbearable to do, or help to do, on thousands of client PCs,
    Microsoft please provide official address that we can use to send the invoice to for this additional work)

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Just want to mention some things i experienced:

-turn SmartScreen "off" did NOT work for me
    -add deploy website to the safe sites did NOT work for me

-manually navigate to "appdata\local\apps\2.0" and directly start the exe or running the
    for /r "%appdata%\..\Local\Apps\2.0" %D IN ("*YourProgram.exe") DO "%~fD"
    command in cmd works only most of the times, i have found two PCs where my program starts with an empty white window and just closes again. If it runs this way, all the setting in "Properties.Settings.Default.XYZ" are gone...

I wonder if we are users or just an unpaid Quality Assurance team? Why do we have to pay for this "OS"? Do they even test the updates they release?

• Edited by Jan Schröer Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:42 PM added the settings-part
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:39 PM
  • Thank you Jan and Christian.

Despite it is a frustration issue, I do not think we should be mad about Microsoft, I esteem they do a great job. It just our issue is not the top priority but I expect it will become soon. I remember to realize they have a heavy release process after reading the following article.

We are working on a prototype with squirrel to determine if ClickOnce is part of the problem. I will make a follow up.

Thanks

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:17 PM
  • I found that disconnecting from the internet allows the .exe to run normally. So:
    - disconnect from the Internet
    - start application
    - reconnect to the Internet
    - use application
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:17 PM
  • Is there a Microsoft issue number we can refer to?  
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:41 PM

• We finished our prototype for testing purpose with squirrel . The installation and the update was successful. Smartscreen appear once for the first installation and never appear again for any following update.

We are not enthusiast to migrate from ClickOnce to Squirrel because we had no need to except for the smartscreen bug.

We will meet today and take action. Circumstances are:
    - our support department is flooded
    - if we release any clickOnce update, the support department will not able to manage all call so customer satisfaction will drop
    - we have a bug in production that affect a small portion of our customers
    - we have new features to releases
    - we did not find anywhere an official bug report from Microsoft
    - we are not sure when the fix will be deliver by Microsoft
    - the smartscreen bug affect a small portion of Microsoft customer, we do not expect this to be a high priority

Good luck to all of you guys!

• Edited by sderrico Friday, May 25, 2018 12:06 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

We tried many workarounds and for now include the URL from the click once publish server on trusted site, is the best and easiest way to handle this issue.

Friday, May 25, 2018 3:18 PM
  • After a brainstorm with the team, someone find out this post on stackoverflow.

The best way to ensure that SmartScreen won't warn the users is to run the Windows App Certification Kit (WACK) which should be included in the Windows SDK download ... Upload the XML result of a successfull application certification to https://sysdev.microsoft.com. A few days later, SmartScreen will be aware of the digital signature used for the certified program and will no longer warn the users on download.

So we will try the Windows App Certification Kitas an alternate solution.

Does anybody have any feedback related to Windows App Certification Kit?

Thanks!

Friday, May 25, 2018 4:29 PM
  • After a brainstorm with the team, someone find out this post on stackoverflow.

The best way to ensure that SmartScreen won't warn the users is to run the Windows App Certification Kit (WACK) which should be included in the Windows SDK download ... Upload the XML result of a successfull application certification to https://sysdev.microsoft.com. A few days later, SmartScreen will be aware of the digital signature used for the certified program and will no longer warn the users on download.

So we will try the Windows App Certification Kitas an alternate solution.

Does anybody have any feedback related to Windows App Certification Kit?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately WACK is unable process ClickOnce installs, it fails with:

Sunday, May 27, 2018 7:59 AM
  • yes, tried the wack, too. Same results, even when the package-executable has already been run and the clickonce is behaving normally.

Come on, Microsoft! You can do it!

• Edited by Hermarcel Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:31 AM
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:30 AM
  • Thank you guys, we got the same result:

including a discoverable shortcut and an entry in "add/remove programs"

Monday, May 28, 2018 11:07 AM
  • Wow, just read from a Microsoft employee on stackoverflow that a ClickOnce application cannot pass the Microsoft Certification.

No, ClickOnce applications can't be certified. Here is the official word from the Windows Store team: "ClickOnce deployment manages install/uninstall a bit different than a traditional installer. For instance, install location doesn’t go to %ProgramFiles% as mandated by the desktop certification requirements, short cuts have a different extension used by Windows app e.g. *.lnk, and so forth. The result is these apps aren’t properly detected by ACK, and hence cannot be certified."

Reference: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13377965/validate-desktop-app-problems-with-clickonce-deployed-application

Monday, May 28, 2018 11:53 AM
  • I found that disconnecting from the internet allows the .exe to run normally. So:
    - disconnect from the Internet
    - start application
    - reconnect to the Internet
    - use application
    That's the best answer while Microsoft publishes the definite patch!
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Same behavior here. There is a SmartScreen event log (Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->SmartScreen->Debug) that has to be enabled, but you can see these SmartScreen actions pretty clearly once you do. In my case, the "enforcement" value is "warn" but the app is still silently dismissed with no indication whatsoever.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 3:03 PM
  • Hi Karen,

no news from product team?

marc.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 10:11 AM
  • A little good news.

In windows insider all works good.

So we must only wait...

marc.

Thursday, May 31, 2018 1:05 PM
  • A little good news.

So we must only wait...

marc.

Would this be included in the next patch tuesday?
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:51 PM
  • Sderrico, were you deploying outside of your domain or just internally?
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 9:27 PM
  • @Jay It is external, the software is used by our customers as a service. Each have their own settings, networks, windows version, etc.

Because we are not sure when the fix will be released and our customer pay monthly, we decided to not wait for a fix from Microsoft. After many tests, we are publishing Monday a new setup+updater with InstallMate .

We noticed that Microsoft tight the security on Windows more and more. In long term, we will try to get a certified windows setup to never hit Smartscreen again. Also, we are evaluating a dual installation, Setup.exe for Windows 7 and prior while Microsoft Store for Windows 8+

Good luck guys!

• Edited by sderrico Friday, June 01, 2018 7:47 PM
    Friday, June 01, 2018 11:38 AM
  • Thanks, this is the same issues I am needing to address as well as internal deployment as well. What made you switch to INSTALLMATE?
    Monday, June 04, 2018 3:41 PM
  • I actually switched back to compiling an MSI using an the visual studio plug in for "Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Installer Projects" while I wait for Microsoft to come out with a patch, sadly I had to build in a home made update checker to replicate the automatic update feature built into the ClickOnce apps.

LINK: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2017InstallerProjects

• Edited by Audreth Monday, June 04, 2018 5:51 PM url fix
    Monday, June 04, 2018 5:51 PM
  • A little good news.

So we must only wait...

marc.

Hi Marc,

Any update on  this?

-Rafi.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:23 PM
  • Yes, same here. Could really use a solution; about to do a big roll-out, but without this working we are looking at a dud....
    Tuesday, June 05, 2018 1:54 PM
  • @Jay Turner III -> What made you switch to Install Mate?

I did not find a way to send you an email so I will post the answer here.

After testing multiple solutions, our top 3 was:

1. Squirrel   2. InstallMate   3. Advanced Installer

I think they all great solutions and take around 3 hours to implement one.

Finally, we did not pick Squirrel because on long term, we would like to be able to install our files into Program File and certify our setup with Microsoft Kit to avoid Smartscreen. We like Advanced Installer but to get the dialog editor, the license cost was 1500$ vs 250$ from InstallMate. Advanced Installer has more features like managing database but we did not need them. So we conclude with InstallMate.

While testing, we realized that when our application crash at startup, like a corrupt configuration file, a missing dependency on the workstation, etc. it will not retrieve the next update while ClickOnce was an independent executable, so it will always update our application. It is an issue that we did not decided how to tackle it. InstallMate and AdvancedInstaller supply an updater executable that we will probably take advantage of it.

• Edited by sderrico Tuesday, June 05, 2018 6:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2018 6:04 PM
  • My application is signed with a Verisign Certificate already. It shouldn't have to be resigned, right?
    Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:07 PM
  • Install this KB to fix your issue or just do current Windows updates.

Getting Windows 10 Build 17134.83 and it would appear as KB4338548 should fix the issue.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4338548

Also to note 17134.1 (initial SP with 1803) does not work.

17134.48 does not work

17134.81 does work properly

Thursday, June 07, 2018 1:40 AM
  • Getting Windows 10 Build 17134.83 and it would appear as KB4338548 should fix the issue.

Thursday, June 07, 2018 1:43 AM
  • Getting Windows 10 Build 17134.83 and it would appear as KB4338548 should fix the issue.

I will be trying this today.

Updates are usually published on the second Tuesday are they not? How did you sir know that the 2018-06 update is out?

Thursday, June 07, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Upgrade to Windows 10 Build 17134.83 not helped for me.
    Friday, June 08, 2018 1:26 PM

It seems that the issue is fixed with these patches. A failing click-once application started to function as expected after the patches were applied. After uninstalling the patches the click-once application continued to work normally, which seems a bit weird, but ok. Let's hope that this fixes my clients problems starting coming tuesday.
    Saturday, June 09, 2018 9:04 PM
  • 1) Is someone tried with an EV certificate? On Microsoft website, it state it will be instant recognition but the process to acquire one may take a week.

Yes the statement is true, we had this issue and replaced the normal code siging certificate with an EV code signing certificate and the Smart Screen issue is no longer present, app installs and runs normally

Regards,
    Monday, June 11, 2018 11:33 AM
  • Hi,

With the june update [formally June 12, 2018—KB4284835 (OS Build 17134.112)].
    The problem is finally solved.

marc.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

With the june update [formally June 12, 2018—KB4284835 (OS Build 17134.112)].
    The problem is finally solved.

marc.

Agreed
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:22 PM