Help Required in installing PPS - Monitoring server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to do a Proof of Concept using Performance Point Server 2007. I have to create dashboards, score cards etc using the Adventure Works Sample Database in SQL Server 2008. I am facing lot of issues in installation of monitoring server.

I am using Windows Vista,

As per the pre-requisites, I need to have the following

SQL Native Client 9.0(SP2) -- I already installed but its not recognised by configuration manager.

Internet Information Services (iis 7.0)  -- I am not able to install it, as it gives me a message Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Beta is required. Where do I get this SP1 to be installed. Can any of you share the link ? Are there any other dependencies in installing IIS 7.0?

Microsoft Share Point Server 2007 -- Do we need this mandatory ? If this is not installed, will I not be able to create dashboards or scorecards ? Pleae advice. I see the supported operating system as Windows 2003, whereas I have vista. I referred this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2E6E5A9C-EBF6-4F7F-8467-F4DE6BD6B831&displaylang=en

I appreciate all your responses. Please help!!

Thank you

NewtoPPS - Venkat

Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:53 PM

Answers

•  

You should be able to perform a Standalone installation of the PPS M&A environment on XP or Vista.  This is documented in the Rational Guide to M&A with PPS 2007.  You won't be able to deploy the dashboard viewer webpart and deploy the dashboard to SharePoint if you don't have this available though.  Make sure you have all of the requirements installed though in the list below:

System Requirements for PPS 2007

• Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.1 (XP) 6.0, or IIS 7.0 with IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility, IIS 6.0 Isolation Mode
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
  • Microsoft ASPNet 2.0
  • Microsoft ASPNet AJAX 1.0
  • SQL Server 2005 Analysis Management Objects 9.0 SP2
  • SQL Server 2005 Native Client 9.0 SP2
  • SQL ADOMD.NET 9.0
  • msxml6.msi + updates
  • SQL Server 2005 SP2 Analysis Server OLEDB 9.0 Provider
  • SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services Service Pack 4 - Build 2174 for Client Systems (to use SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services as a data source)

Here are the instructions for the IIS 7 install - installing IIS 7 on Vista.

Here is the site you can go to to get all of the Vista SP1 information and on the right-hand side is a link to the download.

Windows Vista SP1

And as already stated you can go ahead and download the MS BI VPC 6 which is available for download which has everything installed already for you (expect SQL Server 2008, so if you want to use this with SQL Server 2008 then you will want to setup your own environment and make sure you have all of the requirements installed - don't forget the AJAX 1.0 install).

If you need any of the SQL Server 2005 requirements you can get them from the feature pack.

Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007

Also, if you really want to show off SharePoint features on Vista you can go ahead and setup WSS 3.0 w/ SP1 on Vista.  You can find all of the instructions for that setup here - How to install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1 on Vista.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hi there

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, PerformancePoint does require Windows Server 2003 to run. 

SharePoint is also a mandatory requirement, though the free version (Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0) will work fine.  You can download it here - however, it also requires Windows Server 2003.

Your best bet is to download the Business Intelligence Virtual PC which comes pre-installed with all the required software as well as lots of samples to get you going

Hope this helps

Tim

Sunday, November 9, 2008 11:49 AM
  •  

You should be able to perform a Standalone installation of the PPS M&A environment on XP or Vista.  This is documented in the Rational Guide to M&A with PPS 2007.  You won't be able to deploy the dashboard viewer webpart and deploy the dashboard to SharePoint if you don't have this available though.  Make sure you have all of the requirements installed though in the list below:

System Requirements for PPS 2007

• Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.1 (XP) 6.0, or IIS 7.0 with IIS Metabase and IIS 6 configuration compatibility, IIS 6.0 Isolation Mode
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
  • Microsoft ASPNet 2.0
  • Microsoft ASPNet AJAX 1.0
  • SQL Server 2005 Analysis Management Objects 9.0 SP2
  • SQL Server 2005 Native Client 9.0 SP2
  • SQL ADOMD.NET 9.0
  • msxml6.msi + updates
  • SQL Server 2005 SP2 Analysis Server OLEDB 9.0 Provider
  • SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services Service Pack 4 - Build 2174 for Client Systems (to use SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services as a data source)

Here are the instructions for the IIS 7 install - installing IIS 7 on Vista.

Here is the site you can go to to get all of the Vista SP1 information and on the right-hand side is a link to the download.

Windows Vista SP1

And as already stated you can go ahead and download the MS BI VPC 6 which is available for download which has everything installed already for you (expect SQL Server 2008, so if you want to use this with SQL Server 2008 then you will want to setup your own environment and make sure you have all of the requirements installed - don't forget the AJAX 1.0 install).

If you need any of the SQL Server 2005 requirements you can get them from the feature pack.

Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007

Also, if you really want to show off SharePoint features on Vista you can go ahead and setup WSS 3.0 w/ SP1 on Vista.  You can find all of the instructions for that setup here - How to install Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1 on Vista.

Sunday, November 9, 2008 12:17 PM
  • Hi Dan

Thanks for the correction

So just to clarify - if you install PPS on Vista with IIS7 and also install WSS can you then publish to that WSS instance (and so run PPSM completely stand-alone on Vista) ?

Tim

Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:52 PM
  • I haven't actually tried the WSS setup on Vista to run PPS completely on Vista, but it definitely sounds like it can be done.  I was about to do that setup, but then I got my OS updated to Windows 2008 Server.  When I get some spare time I will verify this on a VPC, but according to the posting about setting up WSS on Vista I don't see why you couldn't.

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:26 AM
  •  

Hello,

Thank you so much for your time to reply to my post. Your guidelines are very helpful. I have few questions in your reply.

1)        I have .NET framework 3.5 SP1 in my system. Should I install .NET Framework 2.0 as well ?

2)        I could not find a link to download msxml6.msi for VISTA. Can you please give me a link for Windows Vista home edition.

3)        When I clicked on AJAX 1.0 link, it downloaded ASPNET 2.0 with AJAX Extensions 1.0. Is this correct ?

4)        I am trying to use SQL Server 2008 and not SQL Server 2005. Will PPS – Monitoring server work properly with SS08. Should I downgrade to SQL Server 2005 and work on PPS ? Have any of you tried SQL Server 2008 and PPS 2007 ? Please advice.

I am yet to download Sharepoint server. I will share my experiences.

Regarding, MS BI VPC 6. Is this location reliable to do a project. I have never tried virtual spaces like this. Please advice.

I appreciate your reply.

Thank you

NewtoPPS - Venkat

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:52 AM
    1. I believe you should already have version 2 of the framework already installed.  If you check in the following location you should see which versions of the framework are installed -- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework, so you should be fine there.
    2. The install for the msxml6.msi is part of the SQL Server 2005 feature pack that I listed above.  It is the second item in the list I believe when you are scrolling through the items.  In regards to using Vista Home Edition, I am not sure if this will work for you to run IIS 7 unless you are on the Premium Edition then you will be fine, but not on the Basic Edition.
    3. This link provided for the AJAX 1.0 Extensions is the one you want and here is the site that redirects you to the link i provided -- http://www.asp.net/ajax/downloads/.
    4. As long as you have the requirements installed for PPS M&A you will be fine.  Make sure you have all of the SQL Clients and Providers in the list for 2005 (9.0) installed.  Everything will work fine with PPS M&A on SQL 2008.  The full support will come in PPS SP2 later in Dec.  The only thing with M&A that isn't really work as it should is with SSRS 2008.  To use the SQL Report as a Report Item and reference a SSRS 2008 deployed report you can either use the Web Page or you can use the SQL Report, but you have to select the integrated mode even if it is running in native mode -- see this blog posting here Performance Point Server - Integrating SSRS2008 Report View.

In regards to using the MS BI VPC the only thing you need to be concerned with is the time bomb.  At some point you will no longer be able to use this to demo or evaulated the software and with have to get the updated version of the VPC from MS or at least move your files off the VPC to your own PC or network.

Enjoy

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I tried to follow the steps provided by you.

1) I successfully installed Share Point Services 3.0 !!! But am not able to configure it successfully Sad

I get this following error message

"Unable to find an available port to host the central administration web application. Port numbers 1024 through 49151 may be in use. Please use the internet information services manager to remove or stop a website that using one of these ports"

How do I resolve the above error in configuring Share Point server ? How do I find the port to stop ?

2) Also, I see that "Windows Authentication" as missing in IIS 7.0 in monitoring server pre-requisite check up. When I checked the IIS in Control panel --> Programs--> Add/Remove.... I see all the check boxes are checked under IIS Security

Please advice.

Thank you

Venkat

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:01 AM
  • Hello,

You are probably going to want to post these questions to the SharePoint and IIS Forums as they will be able to provide you with a better solution. 

Thanks,

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:03 PM
  •  

Thanks Aseem for your guideline to post in SharePoint and iis forum

I did not get much of positive reply in those forums. I will wait for some more time to proceed. Meanwhile, I would like to know the pros and cons of not having the following installed correctly.

When I try to configure Monitoring server in PPS, I see a check mark in most of the pre-reqs except for the following

1) SQL Server Native Client 9.0 SP2 à This is installed multiple times, I see them in Add/Remove Programs for SQL Server 2008 and for this version that I downloaded, In configuration wizard caution icon is displayed against this item.

2) IIS 7.0 à On click of details it says ; ‘Missing : Windows Authentication” I opened a thread in iis forum, still no positive reply. I saw a post saying that this authentication is not supported for Vista OS. I dont see windows Authentication under "Security". What should I do to get it working for Vista. Anyone faced this issue in Vista -> Home Premium OS ? Does this mean that I will not be able to configure Monitoring server at all ? What will be the potential issues if IIS is not installed correctly.

3) SharePointServices 3.0, At this point, I am not worried about sharepoint, if I can create dashboard and score cards in my stand alone system.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Venkat

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:20 AM
  •  

In regards to the Windows Authentication setup in IIS 7 on Vista, are you sure the box for Windows Authentication in the Security section is checked - refer to this posting for guidance Adding Windows Authentication provider into IIS 7 on Vista.

Not quite sure about the other pre-req check.  Are you sure you have the AMO, AMOD.NET, and SSAS OLEDB 9.0 versions installed from the Feature Pack (Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007).  I would just make sure that those other three items are installed because maybe the check is actually ensuring that all of these components are installed properly.  I recall getting a similar message and I installed the AMO I believe and that resolved the issue.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Hi Dan,

As per the blog it says, If "Basic authentication" is checked then it means "Windows Authentication is enabled" (as per my understanding.

From the blog.

To resolve this, within vista, Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn windows features on or off -> Scroll down to IIS, expand all of the nodes to find the ‘Security’ node within there - and there it is, “Windows Authentication” is unchecked - as is “basic authentication”. Check the providers you want, then click OK.

Yes, I see only these 3 as erroneous(WSS 3.0, SQL Native Client SP29.0 and IIS 7.0). I downloaded SQL Native client multiple times, still its not recognized by Configuration server. I can install again. But my question is I am going to use SS08 and it is having its own version of SQL Server Native Client. whereas the wizard looks for SP2 9.0 ? Is it because of this version difference the error has occurred ?

Thank you!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:50 AM
  • Ok. I am not successful in installing PPS for Vista.

I am trying in XP - Pro. Hopefully, I am able to successfully install in XP.

I installed all the pre-requisites. When I try Monitoring Server configuration wizard, I get the following error messages

iis 5.1 is required

I installed iis 6.0 in XP. For some reason, its not recognized by PPS. Should I enable or do some action to make PPS recognize it ?

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services - Can any of you share a link to download/enable this service ?

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 or Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 is required.

- How do I install this for XP ?

Thanks in advance

NewtoPPS

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:59 AM
  • I enabled IIS 6.0 and I dont get the error in Monitor - Configuration wizard.Smile

Now, I have to complete SQL Server 2005 Reporting Service installation and SharePoint Installation in XP.  I need the help of this forum to complete these two successfully.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:20 AM
  • Hello,

Just an update. I got response in SharePoint forum stating that SharePoint server cannot be installed on XP.

Can any of you tell me where I can download SQL Server 2005 Reporting Service ? Atleast, i can proceed with whatever I have in XP.

Thanks in advance

Best

New to PPS

Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:50 PM
  • SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services is part of the SQL Server install.  You will need to install it from your SQL CD.

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Monday, November 17, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Thanks for your response Aseem. I logged into SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio and see that Integration services, Reporting services as installed components. Still, the configuration wizard complains that Reporting Services are required. Am I missing anything here.

Thank you

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:57 PM
  • What is the exact message that you are getting?  And what piece of Monitoring are you installing?

Thanks,

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  

Thanks for all your help and feedback. I configured monitoring server, still, I feel its not a clean installation as I have multiple instance of SQL Server in my XP.

Thanks again.

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Aseem' information.  If SSRS 2005 integrated with SharePoint then there is specific Patch delivered with SQL Server 2005 SP2 for configuring SSRS / SharePoint.   Please take a look into second topic in the Whitepaper posted on this URL http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288006.aspx

SSRS needs to work correctly prior to Monitoring install.   Please clarify about SQL Server 2005 information whether Enterprise or Standard?

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Hi Aseem,

Please confirm if We need to install SQL Server 2005 Reporting services ( SQL Server 2005) on the same Server machine where i have installed PPS .   Can I use some other SQL Server machine to avoid paying SQL Server license. We planned to use PPS Dashboard only.

Thanks

Manoj Jaiswal 

Manoj
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 11:57 PM