Plugging in a sleeping MacBook Pro wakes it up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 15" MacBook Pro with multitouch trackpad (released late 2008) with a clean installation of W7 RC (dual boot).  If I close the cover to the computer it goes to sleep correctly - i can see the glowing thing on the cover turn off.  I can open and shut the cover multiple times and it works like I expect.  However, if the computer is plugged in while sleeping it turns on.  The glowing logo on the cover lights up and after awhile the fans kick on.  I've left the machine on a table for hours like that and it never shuts back off.  I had the same problem with the beta of W7.  Has anyone else seen this?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:06 PM

Answers

• When I run powercfg -lastwake i get this:

Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
      Wake Source Count - 1
      Wake Source [0]
        Type: Device
        Instance Path: ACPI\ACPI0003\2&daba3ff&1
        Friendly Name:
        Description: Microsoft AC Adapter
        Manufacturer: Microsoft

Then I ran this:

powercfg.exe -devicedisablewake "Microsoft AC Adapter"

And that fixed it!!  Thanks for the tip on the excellent powercfg utility.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:47 PM

All replies

• Does the OS X side handle this properly? 

On the Win 7 side, you might try getting into the power management settings in control panel and deleting/recreating the power management schemes, ensuring that you don't have one of the many "always on when connected to AC" or "Don't sleep when connected to AC" selections active.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply - The OsX side does handle the situation propertly.  I couldn't find an option to delete the power mgmt schemes, but I did reset all avail power schemes to no avail.  Is there a specific option that governs what the computer does when plugged in?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:38 PM
  • When I run powercfg -lastwake i get this:

Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
      Wake Source Count - 1
      Wake Source [0]
        Type: Device
        Instance Path: ACPI\ACPI0003\2&daba3ff&1
        Friendly Name:
        Description: Microsoft AC Adapter
        Manufacturer: Microsoft

Then I ran this:

powercfg.exe -devicedisablewake "Microsoft AC Adapter"

And that fixed it!!  Thanks for the tip on the excellent powercfg utility.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Can anyone help me with this problem?:

I have wiped the drive on my 2007 MacBook standard (1 GB RAM, no "Pro," runs native graphics WMA), and installed Windows 7.

I installed the BootCamp Beta drivers directly from the disk (the auto-installer doesn't work), but only for the trackpad, keyboard, and audio drivers.

I was able to install all of my necessary programs, connect to wireless home network, connect to work WPA network.

Everything works great except for one thing:  Everytime it comes out of sleep mode (whether by time-out on battery or by closing lid), the LCD screen turns on without the backlight.  I can barely make out the graphics patterns in bright light, just enough to log in and navigate to shutdown/restart.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?  Is it a drivers problem?  Is it something Windows 7 should be able to automatically fix (built in drivers?)?

I like Win7, by the  way.  Much better than XP in windows management (snap, etc).

Regards,

AtomicDoctor
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:08 PM