Win10 1903 Virtualization Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I've read that WSL2 will require that Hyper-V be installed from Windows Features as it runs in a hyper-V VM. 

I've also know that if you have Hyper-V installed, then you can't run vmware workstation pro 15 VM's. You have to set hypervisor to off and change the credential guard settings.

Microsoft has said it will be Vmware's responsibility to make their VM products compatible with Hyper-V. 

So my question is this:

Will the new Sandbox VM feature require you to have Hyper-V installed? Or will  it run without Hyper-V installed if you have virtualization enabled in your bios?

I specifically purchased Win10Pro because it included Hyper-V. But when I installed Linux Mint, the sound card would not work nor would it load even a default graphics driver, forcing it to run in software rendering mode.  I have it now installed on WP15 and everything works fine.

This is why I first switched to Vmware Player 15 and then purchased Vmware Workstation Pro 15. 

Any responses will be appreciated. TIA

Sunday, May 26, 2019 6:25 PM

Answers

• I asked over on Reddit and a person selected install Sandbox and he told me that Hyper-V is installed by installing the Sandbox feature.  I also read that VirBox had a fix so it could run on a Hyper-V installed system. 

I guess I won't be installing 1903 anytime soon until VMware decides to provide a compatibility fix so their Workstation Pro 15 and Vmware Player 15 can run with Hyper-V installed. Which may never come. 

• Marked as answer by rocketjetz Monday, May 27, 2019 1:52 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 1:52 AM

All replies

•  Sandbox uses hardware virtualization (the sandbox runs as a vm), so if it is enabled it will also block VMWare/VirtualBox, just as Hyper-V does.

Bill

Monday, May 27, 2019 12:35 AM
  • I asked over on Reddit and a person selected install Sandbox and he told me that Hyper-V is installed by installing the Sandbox feature.  I also read that VirBox had a fix so it could run on a Hyper-V installed system. 

I guess I won't be installing 1903 anytime soon until VMware decides to provide a compatibility fix so their Workstation Pro 15 and Vmware Player 15 can run with Hyper-V installed. Which may never come. 

• Marked as answer by rocketjetz Monday, May 27, 2019 1:52 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 1:52 AM
  • You may well be right about a VMWare fix. I would check the VirtualBox website before attempting to run that with Hyper-V (or any of the other things which hog hardware virtualisation). Here is one quote from a moderator on that site.

If you have to have Hyper-V enabled, you're going to be looking at a performance equal to the flow of molasses in the Arctic circle during winter. Or a tortoise running the 100 m.

Bill

Monday, May 27, 2019 6:34 AM