Serious slowing when using remote desktop to play media file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all:

I have a RDC program when I use Win XP(RDC Shell Version 6.1.7600 and Remote Desktop Protocal 7.0 supported) to connect  Win 7 system. And then

• In my Win XP system, it can Play .wmv files, but can't play .avi and .mp4 files. (window media player version is 11.0.5721.5280)
    • In my Win 7 system, it can Play .wmv, .avi and .mp4 files. (window media player version is 12.0.7601.17514)
    • Now i use Win XP RDC to connect Win 7 system, and use window media player to play .wmv, .avi and .mp4 files in the remote desktop.
    • I find that playing .wmv file is smooth but .avi and .mp4 files are serious slowing.

I know  If the decoders are not present on the client then content will be rendered on the server using the server’s CPU/GPU resources (host side rendering). The compressed bitmaps and audio would then be sent efficiently over the network to the client.

But Why remote desktop displays so slow when client receice these compressed bitmaps?

How can i do to resolve this program?

Thanks all.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 1:34 AM

Answers

• Franceko,

in your case performance is only good if the video is rendered on the client side using the local decoder. If required video codecs are not available on the client, all content is rendered on the server using the CPU only. This will never provide a good quality for video. Like Harm-Jan said correctly, there is nothing you can do.

But now there is an RDP extension called RemoteFX. Win7/WS2008R2 Service Pack 1 introduces RemoteFX which allows you render content on the server-side using both CPU and GPU, providing full graphics and multimedia user experience over the LAN. But you need to connect from Win7 SP1 (= RDP 7.1) to Win7 SP1 running in a VM on WS2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V.

Benny

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:09 PM

All replies

• I think this problem cannot be resolved.
    Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) was primarily designed for basic application use across a network. It was not intended for graphical-based applications (i.e. Photoshop, AutoCAD, Adobe) as these applications require extreme refresh rates.

Articles, FAQs & Threads...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/rafaq-general.mspx
    http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.596916

Kind regards, Harm-Jan van Tiel
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Franceko,

in your case performance is only good if the video is rendered on the client side using the local decoder. If required video codecs are not available on the client, all content is rendered on the server using the CPU only. This will never provide a good quality for video. Like Harm-Jan said correctly, there is nothing you can do.

But now there is an RDP extension called RemoteFX. Win7/WS2008R2 Service Pack 1 introduces RemoteFX which allows you render content on the server-side using both CPU and GPU, providing full graphics and multimedia user experience over the LAN. But you need to connect from Win7 SP1 (= RDP 7.1) to Win7 SP1 running in a VM on WS2008 R2 SP1 Hyper-V.

Benny

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:09 PM