none
Can't relay email with the SMTP service in 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to relay email through a 2008 Standard Server that has the SMTP service running on it.  The reason I want to do this is that I use a network monitoring application to send us alerts when systems/services are down.  We only have one Exchange server, so Exchange related alerts I wanted to send an email as a text message to our cell phones.  I did this before at a previous job and it worked.  I can see the message show up on the Server running SMTP, but all test messages wind up in the bad mail folder.  Below is the message that I get for one of the internal address that I put in as a test.  Two other external addresses aren't delivered and nothing is listed in the badmail folder.  If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Final-Recipient: rfc822;user@domain.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this issue is related to Exchange Server, I suggest discussing it in our Exchange Server forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/exchangeserver/

Tim Quan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:18 AM