none
How to remove a tape for archiving from DPM 2012 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I want to remove a tape for archiving but when I do that then DPM reports the following error "The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID 3316) - DPM failed to mount the tape XXXX in drive XXXX for the library XXXX. This is because DPM is not synchronized with the current state of the library. (ID 24077)". I thing that the error is correct because I removed the tape for archiving, but how can I avoid that error or what is the correct way to remove a tape?

Thanks in advance

Cristian L Ruiz

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Ideally the library will have an import/export port (IEport) that can eject media via the DPM Console.  That way DPM knows the tape was removed.  If it does not have an IEPort, then after you remove the tape perform a fast inventory and that should query the library and report that the media in the slot has changed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

Ideally the library will have an import/export port (IEport) that can eject media via the DPM Console.  That way DPM knows the tape was removed.  If it does not have an IEPort, then after you remove the tape perform a fast inventory and that should query the library and report that the media in the slot has changed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi Mike,

the tape library is a HP MSL 2024, Do you know if these library has an I/E Port ?

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:31 AM
  • Hi,

If you select the library in the DPM UI, the details will list the number of I/E Ports.

Example below:

Computer: computer.name
    Number of drives: 5
    Number of slots: 50
    Number of I/E Ports: 1
    Door: Locked
    Barcode reader: Available
    Autoloader: Available
    Library serial number: 3077520000
    Autoloader location: Port 2, Bus 0, Target 1, Lun 0
    Protection groups: -

Additionally, when you right-click a tape, the option "Remove tape (I/E port).. will be available and not greyed out.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

If you select the library in the DPM UI, the details will list the number of I/E Ports.

Example below:

Computer: computer.name
    Number of drives: 5
    Number of slots: 50
    Number of I/E Ports: 1
    Door: Locked
    Barcode reader: Available
    Autoloader: Available
    Library serial number: 3077520000
    Autoloader location: Port 2, Bus 0, Target 1, Lun 0
    Protection groups: -

Additionally, when you right-click a tape, the option "Remove tape (I/E port).. will be available and not greyed out.

No, in these case it says:

Number of I/E Ports: 0

And the option of "Remove tape I/E port" is grayed out. Is there any configuration to do, or really is because the library has not an I/E port? I'dont know if normal to have or not an I/E port.

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

Looking at the owners manual it appears that library has a mail slot which is addressable via management web interface and is not the same as an IE port.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:36 PM