How to delete expired items? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use Office 2016 with Office 365. One user keeps getting a reminder for an expired item. I searched the user mailbox and couldn't find the item. I opened the reminder and couldn't find the organizer. See the image below. 

reminder.JPG

Where should I go to delete this item or turn off the reminder? I need help!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

Friday, October 12, 2018 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Grace,

Please try the following methods one by one and see if the issue can be fixed:

Method 1: Checking this item in OWA and see if it's there. If yes, delete this item in OWA and check the result.
    Method 2: Closing Outlook, press Win+R, type "outlook /cleanreminders", press Enter.
    Method 3: If the above doesn't work, please refer to the steps below to try deleting the meeting reminders by using the MFCMAPI editor:

Note Please use caution when you make changes to mailboxes by using this tool. Using the MFCMAPI editor incorrectly can cause permanent damage to a mailbox.

Note The exact steps may vary, depending on the version of MFCMAPI that you're using.

1. Download MFCMAPI from github (scroll down and then click Latest release).
    2. In Outlook, click the Send/Receive tab, in the Preferences group, click Work Offline, and then exit Outlook.
    3. Double-click the MFCMapi.exe file to start the MFCMAPI editor, on the Session menu, click Logon and Display Store Table.
    4. Right-click the mail profile that you want to change, and then click Open Store.
    5. Expand Root-Mailbox, expand Finder, and then double-click Reminders.

6. Locate the recurring appointment by sorting the Subject column or the To column.
    7. Right-click the appointment, and then click Delete Message. In the Delete Item dialog box, select one of the permanent deletion options, and then click OK.
    8. Click Start, type outlook.exe /cleanreminders in the search box, and then press Enter.
    9. If you're prompted, select your profile to start Outlook.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 15, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi Grace,

Just checked in to see if you have solved the issue. If my suggestion above was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, October 19, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Thank you for your following up. I checked the user's Outlook and OWA. I searched the meeting which keeps pops up reminder, but I couldn't find it. Then I ran outlook.exe /cleanreminders, but still no help. Last I tried to create a new Outlook profile, still no help.

I downloaded MFCMapi.exe, but I got the message below when I tried to log on. I have made sure Outlook is the default mail program. Please advise! Thanks,

Grace

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 10:32 PM